About the job
We are looking for a "David" to lead our church in congregational worship. We value worship that is true, singable, and clear.
We are Looking for God’s Leading toward a Part-Time Worship Leader
Willowbrook Park Baptist Church on Staten Island, NYC is currently seeking a part-time Worship Leader. We are looking for a man to help lead our growing team of instrumentalists and vocalists in “being and making disciples for Jesus.” He will lead the congregation to worship God in Spirit and in Truth through Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs (Eph 5:18-19). This includes leading the technology team, recruiting/scheduling/organizing worship teams, and producing special music events. He will also serve as a spiritual leader to those involved with the musical worship team(s) and the congregation at large. Working in partnership with the Pastor(s) he will be responsible to help fulfill the vision, priorities, and strategy of Willowbrook Park Baptist Church.
Who We Are:
Willowbrook Park Baptist Church exists to be and made disciples for Jesus. We are a reforming and revitalizing Baptist church that is dually aligned with the Southern Baptist Convention and Venture Network. We value the ministry paradigms affirmed by 9-Marks and The Pillar Network. We are located on Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of New York City. Begun in 1969, Willowbrook Church is a multi-generational, multi-ethnic congregation undergoing tremendous renewal by God’s grace. We currently have 96 members, and our average Sunday worship attendance is around one hundred. In our public worship services, we value singing songs that are 1.) true, 2.) clear, and 3.) singable. In any given worship service, we might be found singing classic hymns in addition to worshipping with current songs by artists like the Gettys, Sovereign Grace Music, City Alight, and others. We may even read a historic creed or confession or recite the Lord’s prayer in unison. Our current worship music includes our pastor leading vocals with several of our ladies and a couple of young men helping with vocals. We also have two pianists, two drummers, a bass player, and a keyboardist. We hope to expand our instruments and instrumentalists. Currently, we have one service per week, but could eventually go to two to three services per week; we value multiple congregations over multiple worship services but may be willing to function with multi-services for a time. We are intending to become a multiplying church that reaches Staten Island with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We just started an Arabic congregation in our building and are looking to begin a Spanish work as well. We are looking for someone who desires to share our vision, work hard, and come along with us on this exciting journey!
Staten Island is the “forgotten borough” of NYC. There are more than 500,000 residents living on this 55 square mile island. We are a bridge away from Brooklyn and New Jersey, and a boat ride away from Manhattan. Staten Island is a very diverse island with many new people moving in regularly. A majority of the residents of Staten Island identify as Catholic. Staten Island, along with most of NYC is less than 4% or Evangelical. The greater metro of NYC has around 22 million souls and around 800 different languages are spoken in the homes. The harvest is plenteous, but the laborers are few! Staten Island is in the New York City but feels more like a suburb of NYC. You can own and drive a car with ease here, and there are lots of parks and outdoor spaces for families. It is the most “family friendly” Borough and Willowbrook Church is strategically located to make a big impact on the rest of the City
WHO We Are Looking For:
A man with an authentic growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He is consistently committed to Bible reading, study, prayer, and sanctification as a Christian in all of life.
A believer who holds a passionate and firm understanding of Biblical Theology, able to understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ, from all of Scripture.
A churchman who holds the local church in very high regard and has a track record of faithfulness to his local church.
A growing theologian whose understanding of God’s Word shapes and guides his decisions and his selection of music. He is able to give sound biblical backing for all aspects of worship and reasons for the songs implemented.
A lead singer with strong vocal ability who can effectively lead the congregation and fellow musicians to worship God through a variety of musical styles.
A servant leader and teammate who demonstrates genuine humility as evidenced by the ability to listen to and work with people from all walks of life, under the authority of the Willowbrook Pastor(s).
A missionary’s heart is needed to work on Staten Island. New York City has over 800 languages spoken around the dinner tables. If you want to see the nations worship, then you get a little taste of that every Sunday at Willowbrook Park Baptist Church.
Our Worship Leader Must HAVE:
· Significant skill and gifting in both singing and in playing at least one primary instrument that can be utilized in leading worship. He must understand how instrumentalists and vocalists can collaborate in worship.
· Excellent references that can testify not only to his skills and leadership ability but also to his character.
· Technical skills (or the ability to learn how) to utilize a wide variety of equipment including computers, sound systems, video projection equipment and software, digital audio recording, and methods of live-streaming and/or generating an online presence, etc.
Our Worship Leader WILL:
· Lead the congregation and worship team to use their voices and instruments to worship God consistently and effectively.
· Recruit, train, organize, and manage instrumental, vocal, and technical worship team members.
· Administrate (under the oversight of the Pastor(s)) all areas of the worship ministry at Willowbrook Park Baptist Church (the purpose, plan, product, and people) and all church related digital and print media (website, Facebook, worship media, printed bulletins, etc.)
· Produce special worship events or musically oriented outreach events in line with our vision and strategy, including all slides and handouts to accompany the worship experience.
· Manage the advancement of the worship team and experience by improving the overall technology, the rotation of teams, and the administration of a curated worship song catalog that is approved by the Pastor(s).
· Coordinate the worship ministry with the other Pastor(s) to fulfill the purpose and strategy of the church.
· Shepherd the Worship team(s) in their rehearsals, musical development, commitment to excellence, spiritual growth and development, and Biblical philosophy of worship.
· Grow in love for God, understanding of His Word, and obedience to His commands. He will also grow by observing, studying, attending conferences and workshops focused on local church worship, and conversing with and being mentored by other God-honoring worship leaders.
· Join Willowbrook Park Baptist Church and agree to uphold our church’s covenant and statement of faith. All believing family members will also join the membership of our church.
· Participate in all aspects of congregational life including but not limited to a Life Group or Sunday School class, fellowship events, evangelism and service projects, a Discipleship Group, and general leadership training. Weekly/monthly meetings with the Pastor(s). In other words, we want you (and your wife/family) to be a committed church member.
· Commit to working an average of at least twenty hours a week with the understanding that on some occasions more hours will be required. He will maintain regularly scheduled office hours and will communicate with the pastor when he is accomplishing ministry tasks offsite.
OUR CONGREGATION Will:
· Provide compensation The compensation we provide would be $20,000-$50,000 per year, depending on time spent in ministry. However, for a single person or young couple we could help find or provide limited housing. Candidates from outside New York should be aware that costs of living are high and often necessitate a two-income family. However, you could raise your own support to offset expenses as a “missionary” to NYC. We can help with both finding a job and/or raising support.
· The church will also provide:
· A ministry budget for worship, including books/materials allowance, and a conference/convention expenses fund for approved events.
· Additionally, you will receive mentoring from a 20+ year experienced lead pastor who holds a PhD from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and is approved with The Equip Center of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary to help seminarians earn credit hours while serving here at Willowbrook Park Baptist Church. We also currently have a Lt. Colonel Chaplain who is a member and a long-tenured missionary home from Italy.
· Grant two weeks of paid vacation and up to one week of conference/training time upon approval.
· Supervise, give feedback, and provide accountability through the Lead Pastor.
· Be your church family. We are good at loving, encouraging, building up, and caring for our family of faith. We have been experiencing an unusual season of God’s favor here and there are not many places you could serve that are as spiritually rewarding as Willowbrook Park Baptist Church on Staten Island, NYC.
Want to take the NEXT STEPS?
· Pray. If you have read this far, will you at least stop and ask God if He would have you pursue this opportunity further?
· Learn. Go to our website at willowbrookchurchny.org and discover all you can about our church and our community. You can get a good experience of how our current worship services function and how our Lead Pastor preaches by going to Willowbrook Church NY on YouTube. Also, consider that we are committed to continuing to partner with The Southern Baptist Convention, 9-Marks, The Pillar Network, and Reaching and Teaching International.
· Send the following to: Pastor, Chris Turpin a [email protected], or 1780 Richmond Ave. Staten Island, NY 10314
· Your Cover Letter and Resume
· A online or downloadable link to a video/audio of you singing or leading worship
· The name and contacts of three references, including your current pastor, a spiritual mentor, and someone who has managed you in a work environment.
To apply for this job, please click here https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/3294