Praise & Worship Music Leader at Whittier First United Methodist Church
Whittier First United Methodist Church
About the job
I. PURPOSE: The Praise and Worship Music Leader leads music in the Contemporary Worship space, coordinating with other and supervising those who participate musically. The purpose is to lead people into an experience of the love of God.
· Have the ability to play the guitar and/or piano and vocally sing, alone and/or lead others.
· Exhibit past experience providing musical expertise for staff and volunteers
· Knows a diverse variety of church music
· Possess the ability to work with various age groups in a musical setting
· Be willing to work with church volunteers
· Possess a degree in Music or equivalent professional experience
· Be a person of Christian faith and agrees with the mission, vision and values of the United Methodist Church. Be open-minded.
· Participate in “Safe Sanctuary Training” and sign the agreement
· Attend Sexual Harassment and Assault Training as mandated
· The Praise and Worship Music Leader will be accountable to the Senior Pastor or designee.
· Work in collaboration with the leadership team involved in the Contemporary Worship.
· For our monthly Contemporary worship, lead a musical set for about 20 minutes. Music needs to be predetermined by the Pastor.
· Build a repertoire of music that meets the specific themes and needs of the contemporary worship.
· Potentially work with volunteers to create a musical band, with regular rehearsal times.
· Oversee the maintenance musical instruments used for Worship.
· Supervise the purchase, filing, storage and inventory of all music department supplies
· Have regularly monthly meetings with Pastor and be available for consultation.
V. TERMS AND WORK SCHEDULE:
· The Praise and Worship Music Leader will be present at all contemporary worship services, rehearsals needed ,working retreats, special services/ programs.
· Schedule coordinated with Senior Pastor
· Recommend and train a suitable substitute when absent.
· Must give adequate (24 hour) notice for a substitute.
· 90 Day Introductory Period
· Annual Evaluation
VI. SPECIFIC REQUESTS/REQUIREMENTS:
· Attend other meetings at the request of the Senior Pastor
· Attendance at meetings is considered part of work hours
· Background check
· Two personal references
· Employment history
VII. SALARY AND BENEFITS:
· Two-hour minimum shifts
· Work time not to exceed 10-12 hours per month.
· Hourly salary- fill out time card.
· The benefits are specified in the First United Methodist Church Personnel Policies amended from time to time