Associate Pastor for Youth and Mission at Westminster Presbyterian Church
Westlake Village, CA 91361
About the job
POSITION: Designated Associate Pastor for Youth and Mission
Reports to: Head Pastor
Works With: Youth, Parents/Families, Staff and Volunteers
Supervises: Volunteers and Staff Salary Range: $75,000 - $85,000
Classification: Full-time, regular, exempt for a designated term
I. MAJOR PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The Associate Pastor will develop and lead a comprehensive and engaging ministry program for young people primarily ages 12 to 18 designed to grow WPC’s membership and active participation among youth and their families. The Associate Pastor will also focus on increasing the number of all WPC members and friends engaged in service as we expand the mission work of the Church in accordance with the principles of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. (“PCUSA”).
The Associate Pastor works with staff, volunteers, and the appropriate committees and ministry teams of Session to create age and stage appropriate programs that are aligned with WPC’s vision of inviting all people to follow Jesus on a journey of faith, friendship, and service. The Associate Pastor will oversee the Student Ministries Committee and the Social Ministry and Mission Committee and provide managerial oversight and direction to other youth ministry and/or mission staff, if any. The Associate Pastor will serve on Session and offer pastoral care as needed. The Associate Pastor will lead in worship and preach as requested by the Head of Staff.
II. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· Master of Divinity degree from accredited Seminary preferred and certified ready to receive a call in the PCUSA. At minimum a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and enrolled in Seminary
· At least five years combined experience in youth ministry and mission work.
III. SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED
· A clear sense of call to Christian ministry with a special focus on and ability to minister, engage and motivate students and their families.
· Dedication to service and mission reflecting values and vision of WPC and standards and teachings of PCUSA.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate, engage and work effectively with individuals of all ages and stages, verbally, in writing and using social media.
· High degree of emotional intelligence, with a strong work ethic, organizational skills, and ability to energize groups
· Exhibits genuine warmth, humor, care giving, and a modeling of a life committed to Jesus Christ.
· Able to permanently work in the U.S. and pass background check.
IV. POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
· Youth – The primary job responsibility is to develop and lead comprehensive and age-appropriate Christian ministry, fellowship and outreach programs for youth and their families with the goal of growing WPC’s youth ministry programs and increasing involvement of youth and their families in the life of the Church:
o Together with the Student Ministries Committee, provide vision and leadership in the development and implementation of a comprehensive program/curriculum for both middle and high school students that includes opportunities for discipleship, fellowship, study, service, and outreach.
o Fully assess the current youth weekly program schedule, gauging the effectiveness of programs, and develop a plan of improvement.
o Outreach to youth and families of WPC and the community at large to encourage active participation in WPC worship and programming.
o Minister to the personal and spiritual needs of students and their families, providing support, care, and encouragement.
o Build working relationships with local high schools, community groups serving youth and other local Christian organizations, through a dedicated presence on campus.
o Develop a parent support network for families of WPC youth.
o Recruit and train youth for leadership roles within Youth and/or Children’s Ministry or for WPC mission and service.
o Explore and coordinate opportunities for youth to participate in external conferences, workshops, and similar events to develop leadership skills and deepen their commitment to Christ.
o Work with Director of Children’s Ministries to bridge children into youth programs
o Abide by the WPC Code of Conduct for Youth Ministry and ensure compliance by all Youth volunteers
· Mission – The job responsibility also includes development and implementation of strategies to mobilize members and friends of WPC in hands-on service and mission commitment:
o Together with the Social Ministry and Mission Committee, advise on the development and implementation of opportunities for “hands-on” service on a local, regional, national, and international basis that expands the mission of PCUSA.
o Build on the established mission partnerships at WPC to increase effectiveness and engagement with opportunities for all for “hands-on” service.
o Actively recruit and encourage all members of the WPC community to be engaged in service and mission projects.
o Work with Presbytery of San Fernando, WPC, and other community faith organizations to facilitate other service opportunities.
· Other - Engage with the WPC community to encourage volunteers in support of youth and mission; connect the youth and their families to the life at WPC; preach and lead in worship as requested by Head of Staff; and such other duties as may be assigned by Head of Staff.