About the job
Director of Children and Family Ministries
Westminster Presbyterian Church – Dayton, OH
Westminster Presbyterian Church in Dayton, OH is a vibrant, downtown congregation committed to a vision where loving God and loving neighbor is transforming lives. Known for a tradition of excellent preaching, a deep musical heritage, and hands-on service to the community, we are looking for an enthusiastic, kind, and knowledgeable Director of Children and Family Ministries equipped to deepen the care and nurture of our children and their families.
The Director of Children and Family Ministries (DCFM):
· Guides the Christian faith formation of our children, ages birth-6th grade
· Supports families in the nurture and education of their children
· Serves as a member of a team of staff and laypeople offering a year-round ministry of children’s Christian education and formation
· Supports, trains, and guides children’s ministry volunteers and oversees nursery staff
Accountability and Relationships:
The DCFM, a member of the professional staff, is supervised by the Associate Pastor for Spiritual Growth, and works with the pastors, childcare workers, the Education and Practice Committee, the Children’s Ministry Team, and volunteers.
The Pastor/Head of Staff has final oversight of all staff, including the Director of Children and Family Ministries.
The DCFM position is for 30 hours per week.
Overall, the DCFM position will plan a year-round calendar of experiences for children from birth through grade six and their families, and will take responsibility for ensuring the planning for, implementing and evaluating of all children’s ministry education/formation programs and events.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Attend the all-staff meeting on Tuesdays at noon
· Schedule Sunday school teachers, childcare workers, and other volunteers
· Prepare and implement the chosen curriculum for Sunday School classes
· Communicate with families via a weekly email highlighting important information and upcoming events
· Meet with the Associate Pastor for Spiritual Growth
· Staff the Children’s Ministry Team
· Coordinate with the children’s music ministry staff and volunteers
· Check-in with individual families
· Attend Education and Practice Committee meetings
· Plan and lead fellowship and service events for children and their families
· Choose curriculum, as needed, in consultation with the Children’s Ministry Team
· With the Associate Pastor for Youth and Mission, ensure that all volunteers receive Child Protection Training and enforces the Child Protection Policies.
· Host a parent information and interest meeting
· Plan and coordinate yearly recognition of youth and adults who serve in leadership capacities in the children’s ministries
· Plan and lead annual Children’s Ministry Team gatherings, including the Summer Family Picnic and the Christmas Eve Party.
Additionally, as time allows, the DCFM is encouraged to participate in the connectional nature of the PC(USA), in particular with the Presbytery of the Miami Valley’s educational network, and the regional and national chapters of the Association of Presbyterian Christian Educators.
· Has a strong background in the Presbyterian Church (USA) or a denomination with theology consistent with that of the PC(USA).
· Has a certification in Christian Education from the PC(USA), a degree in education (preferably Christian Education), or equivalent experience or training.
· Has a deep commitment to the spiritual nurture and faith formation of children.
· Exhibits excellent interpersonal and teaching skills.
· Demonstrates the ability to work compassionately with families and children.
· Has a flexible and collegial spirit.
· Is able to be decisive in crisis situations.
· Is committed to being present on Sunday mornings, for evening/midweek programs, Christmas Eve, and other occasions where programs for children are offered.
Performance evaluation will be conducted annually with the Associate Pastor for Spiritual Growth and the chair (or co-chairs) of the Education and Practice Committee.
Minimum Effective Salary: $35,000 + Benefits
Interested parties should upload their resumes via the Google Form found here: https://forms.gle/Ybt5vtjbB5UGLFxz9. Those with questions can contact the search committee at email@example.com.
Our congregation currently worships remotely, and there is very limited staff presence in the building. There is flexibility for this position to work remotely at least into the summer, if not beyond, before in-person activities commence (hopefully) in the fall.