About the job
Full Time Director of Music, Worship & the Arts
Westminster Presbyterian Church - PC(USA) - Anacortes, Washington
Westminster Presbyterian Church (WPC) & Anacortes
Active in the community and providing a safe place to grow and connect, Westminster Presbyterian has been serving Jesus Christ in Anacortes since 1889. We are an inclusive congregation that celebrates diversity. We are committed to providing excellent worship opportunities, discipleship ministries, and outreach to our larger community. Located in the vibrant downtown of Anacortes, WA, WPC is rooted in a community that is considered by many to be one of the best and most beautiful places to live and raise a family on the west coast.
Position Title: DIRECTOR OF MUSIC, WORSHIP & the ARTS (Dir of MWA)
General Description: The Dir of MWA works in partnership with the Pastor to plan, develop, and lead worship services at WPC to enrich the spiritual and worship life of the congregation. These include weekly Sunday services as well as occasional services throughout the year.
Accountability/Supervision: The Dir of MWA is accountable to the Session (leadership board) through the Pastor.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintain spiritual disciplines and grow as a personal disciple of Jesus.
2. Maintain and grow personal musicianship skills through regular practice, lessons and other educational tools/experiences.
1. Work closely with the Pastor to plan and lead (sing/play instrument/pray/etc.) worship for Sunday services that include both contemporary and traditional worship elements.
2. Provide worship leadership as required during all worship services (Sunday, holiday, memorials, weddings).
3. Schedule, direct, and rehearse Music Teams for leading worship.
4. Recruit, train, direct, and spiritually encourage volunteers of all ages to support WPC’s worship life.
5. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Collaborate with WPC staff to help manage the visual and aesthetic design (logo, website, banners, branding, etc.).
2. Dream, design, work to procure, and provide leadership to staff/volunteers regarding visual art/seasonal decor to be used in worship.
3. Actively recruit outside performing groups for concerts and performances at WPC as part of our outreach ministries.
1. Select music consistent with preaching theme for each worship service in a timely manner.
2. Prepare music/arts portion of worship software and bulletins for all services.
3. Maintain current knowledge of and wisely steward all WPC music libraries and worship resources.
4. Maintain awareness of and adherence to copyright restrictions; maintain copyright licensing agreements.
5. Regularly attend and participate in Staff meetings.
6. Chair Worship Committee, establishing and spending Worship Committee budget and restricted accounts.
7. Arrange for qualified substitute Music Team Leaders as needed for any absences.
8. Supervise the Front of House Manager (sound) and Production Manager (livestream/tech).
1. Develop and maintain knowledge of WPC’s Audio/Visual Systems.
2. Schedule maintenance and repair of church instruments.
3. Provide orientation for guest musicians who will be using church instruments or sound system.
Skills & Knowledge of Ideal Candidate
1. Professed and growing disciple of Jesus Christ who is passionate about sharing faith and pointing others to Jesus.
2. Able to articulate a love of the Lord in both church and non-church settings.
3. Proven experience as a worship leader (musical degree appreciated).
4. Knowledgeable of or willing to learn foundations of Reformed worship/theology.
5. Able and willing to develop disciples among ministry participants and congregants.
6. Able and willing to learn the culture of the congregation and blend a wide range of musical, artistic, and cultural styles and expression.
7. Self-motivated and willing to take initiative in the workplace.
8. Strong vocal ability.
9. Able to confidently and humbly lead worship from piano and/or guitar, demonstrating a high level of musicianship.
10. Working familiarity with a wide variety of musical instruments in a band setting.
11. Able to lead contemporary music teams of various sizes and abilities.
12. Ideally, able or willing to learn to provide direction for occasional choral/ensemble groups.
13. Positive attitude toward collaboration and innovation.
14. Strong organizational skills and administrative abilities.
15. Working understanding of or willingness to learn audio/visual technologies.
16. Able to effectively use various types of computer software (email, ProPresenter, CCLI, Canva, Planning Center).
17. Strong communication skills (verbal, written, and computer).
18. Strong people skills - able to work well with coworkers and congregants (all ages and abilities).
19. Able to actively recruit, coordinate, inspire, encourage, and maintain worship volunteers, welcoming all who desire to participate and are actively developing their skill.
20. Able to develop knowledge of resources within the church and community to bring music that will be well received by the congregation.
21. Able to think creatively and collaborate with others to enhance worship with regular use of visual arts.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary 50,000-$60,000 depending on experience
Medical insurance through PC(USA) or reimbursement for alternative source
Starting at two weeks of paid vacation per year, plus 9 paid holidays
Time and funding for continuing education
Paid parental leave
Ability to participate in health flexible spending plan
Ability to participate in voluntary savings plan with limited employer matching savings
Possibility of assistance with moving expenses
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING – FIRST REVIEW DATE – NOVEMBER 18
1) A cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position.
2) A resume including: professional ministry experience, education, three professional references, and three personal references.
3) A brief statement describing your journey in the Christian faith.
4) Shareable/easily accessible video/audio example of your worship leadership.
Electronic Submissions (preferred)
Email with attachments to:
Subject line: Search - Dir of MWA
Westminster Presbyterian Church
Attn: Search - Dir of MWA
1300 Ninth Street
Anacortes, WA 98221
To apply for this job, please click here https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/2666