Pastor at Western Hills Church
San Mateo, CA
About the job
Western Hills Church has been ministering to the San Francisco Peninsula for over 70 years. The congregation is diverse with people from many different cultural backgrounds which provide the opportunity to demonstrate God’s love for everyone. The current Sunday attendance is 60 including on zoom and in person. The median age of the congregation is over 50, but still young at heart. The church also has an Arabic congregation with a regular attendance of 12-15 that meets every other Saturday night.
Western Hills Church is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. The leadership consists of pastor/elders, deacons, and an Advisory Council who all report to the congregation in business meetings. The church is complementarian with female deacons, but only male pastor/elders. The church is in a restructuring process, updating bylaws and readdressing core values and vision with an intentional interim pastor.
The church is located adjacent to the College of San Mateo campus, which has nearly 8,000 students enrolled. The property includes a worship center that seats 300, a fellowship hall and 18 classrooms. The church leases the facilities to a Korean church, Bible Study Fellowship, and an afterschool program for children. All three have been long term tenants and partners.
Worship is casual and simple and leans toward traditional and conservative. Musical style varies with the need. There is no regular worship team. The church currently uses a combination of volunteer and outside leaders as well as video resources. Ministries include on-going weekly small groups, prayer meetings. The congregation has a family feel that supports one another through a Care, Prayer and Response ministry but is still hospitable to all who visit. Prior to Covid, fellowship, family, food, and fun were part of church life.
Western Hills Church has a great opportunity to fulfill the Great Commission of reaching out to those that are unsaved among the over 750,000 diverse people of San Mateo County. The median age of the county is 40. Half of the adult population have bachelor’s degrees. Though the area has one of the highest costs of living, the opportunities to reach a multicultural community in one of the most influential areas of the world makes it worth it.
The church website is www.westernhills.org.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be the primary preacher for weekend services.
- Conduct and coordinate pastoral care and counseling as needed
- Provide organizational leadership
- Demonstrate servant leadership with the other Pastors/Elders and Deacons to ensure proper shepherding of the church
- Participate in and be a champion for evangelistic outreach and ministries
- Intercede for the congregation and community daily and lead others to do the same
- Recruit and train staff and volunteers as needed
- Develop and oversee spiritual formation process of the congregation
- Collaborate with lay leadership to manage church operations and provide ministry solutions
- Ensure that worship and small group teaching fits the doctrine and direction of the church
- Coach, develop, and empower other leaders in honoring their gifts
- Lead the ministry staff in the establishment and ongoing direction of ministries that effectively reach the church’s target audience
- Develop and implement annual performance reviews of all Staff with their stated goals
- Participate in the local Baptist Association and with state and national SBC entities
- Vision crafter and caster, strong communicator, and highly collaborative leader
- Degree from an accredited evangelical seminary, preferably SBC related
- Meets the qualifications of elder/pastor (1 Timothy 3 and Titus 3)
- Committed to growth as a disciple in private and group settings
- Agrees with the Baptist Faith and Message
- Five years’ experience in local church leadership at minimum
- One year minimum preaching experience
- Supportive and encourages others on the leadership team
- A positive influencer who will fight for unity
- Experience with diverse cultures
- Demonstrate transparency and integrity at all times
- Ability to view all sides of an issue and collaborate on the resolution