Administrative Assistant at West Hollywood United Church of Christ
Los Angeles, CA 90046
About the job
CHURCH ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT West Hollywood United Church of Christ is a progressive Christian congregation that defines itself by inclusivity, social justice, and extravagant welcome. We are an Open and Affirming Congregation welcoming persons of all genders, sexual orientations, faith traditions that harmonize with the teachings of Jesus, able abilities, race and ethnicities. We Affirm and Celebrate Diversity.
We are looking for a responsible Administrative Assistant. Someone friendly, outgoing, caring, creative and not afraid to learn new software or new procedures. The Administrative Assistant is responsible for implementing the administrative aspects of the policies and goals of the West Hollywood United Church of Christ. The Administrative Assistant reports to the Senior Pastor.
• Answer phones and retrieve messages from answering machine; respond to or refer incoming requests.
• Record greeting on church telephone
• Open incoming email: [except mail addressed to the Pastor ] respond to or refer messages.
• Handle or deliver incoming postal mail and packages.
• Pickup mail and packages from the Post Office
• Receive visitors.
• Generate form welcome letters for Senior Pastor’s signature.
• Maintain records of weekly worship attendance
• Compile and print updated list of prayer concerns, birthdays, and anniversaries weekly.
• Report music usage to licensing firm.
• Perform weekly backup of computer hard drive to external disk.
• Proofread weekly Constant Contact announcements, commentary, and other information
• Create Constant Contact and distribute via email.
• Prepare and print annual membership directory
• Maintain email address book
• Order office, bathroom and kitchen supplies as needed
• Maintain church filing system of documents, reports, ledgers, and cancelled checks
• Code expenses and Income
• Scan documents upon request
• Attend weekly staff meetings in-person or via zoom
• Maintain weekly Attendance log
• Create Name Tags when needed Financial Administration
• Maintain contribution records using Church Windows and Vanco Finance software.
• Upload daily and weekly check requests, Deposits, bank statements and necessary financial information to the church Account through the online church drop box.
• Make weekly bank deposit.
• Print and mail checks from our Accountant
• Make sure checks are signed by those with the authority to sign checks
• Send weekly email to Treasurer, Pastor and Accountant with bank and online deposit memos attached.
• Generate and mail quarterly statements to pledgers and financial contributors
• Mail annual pledge statements and envelopes to non-resident pledgers. Coordination and Supervision of Volunteers
• Schedule and coordinate volunteers for Sunday worship and fellowship events.
• Coordinate volunteers for feeding program Communication and Database Maintenance
• Update and maintain Outlook and Constant Contact databases.
• Prepare and send two Constant Contact mailings per week. One on Tuesdays [Prayer Fellowship] and one on Friday Morning that includes commentary, announcements, and prayer request.
• Update church website weekly with worship program and special events listings.
Hours, Compensation and Benefits Hours: 20-25 hours per week, 4 days a week (not including unpaid lunch break), Monday through Thursday.
Compensation: based on experience
Employee Benefits: May be Eligible for employee benefits as outlined in the church’s Personnel Policies for vacation, sick leave, etc [if work hours are 20 hours a week or more]
Evaluations: to determine Cost of Living and Merit increases, once a year by the Pastor and a Member of the church Council.
• Minimum AA degree plus 3 years of business/administrative/church office experience
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Outlook, Publisher and Adobe
• Willingness to learn Church Windows and Vanco Finance and other software.
• Knowledge of basic banking and bookkeeping practices.
• Knowledge of spelling, grammar and punctuation for writing and proofreading.
• Ability to schedule and supervise volunteers.
• Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize and be flexible.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and sign a confidentiality statement
• Access to independent transportation for errands, etc.
• Must be vaccinated
Job Type: Part-time Pay: $25.00 - $35.00 per hour
COVID-19 considerations: Our church follows the guidelines of the CDC. For persons vaccinated, mask are optional. We require all staff to be vaccinated and to show proof of Vaccination card.
• Customer service: 3 years (Preferred)
Security clearance: • Confidential (Required)
Work Location: One location