Director of Youth Ministry at Vienna Presbyterian Church
Vienna, Virginia 22180
About the job
SECTION 1. Administrative
UPDATED January, 2022
POSITION TITLE Director of Youth Ministry
CLASSIFICATION Full-time, Exempt, Salary
REPORTS TO Next Gen Senior Director
SECTION 2. Mission and Vision of VPC; purpose of the position
MISSION: Becoming like Christ together for the World.
VISION: To connect people to Christ, to community, and to God’s work in the world. The way we do this is by engaging them in a variety of practices, relationships and experiences that lead to spiritual transformation for the glory of God, the abundance of their own lives, and for the sake of others.
CORE BELIEFS: Jesus is Lord. Scripture is our authority. Everyone is called to follow Jesus.
The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for the overall vision, management, and growth of the ministry under the guidance of the Next Gen Senior Director. The Director of Youth Ministry oversees the recruitment, training, encouragement, accountability and supervision of youth ministry volunteers.
The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for the spiritual growth of VPC’s youth in grades 7–12, by identifying program goals and objectives, and by providing opportunities for students to explore their faith in a safe, nurturing, and Biblical environment. The Director of Youth Ministry works directly with the Next Gen Department, Human Resources, and the Safety & Security Committee to implement the guidelines of VPC’s Church Protection Policy, as well as other VPC policies and procedures. This position is also responsible for ensuring a healthy partnership with parents through intentional interaction, age integrated opportunities, and appropriate communication with them and their children to encourage spiritual growth.
SECTION 3. Major tasks, duties and responsibilities; essential functions
· Responsible for programs that develop and equip youth with practical faith for the real world.
· Creates an environment of Christ-like hospitality that welcomes all.
· Responsible for year round programing providing opportunities for fellowship, worship, prayer, and discipleship, as well as the Confirmation process, Youth Sunday, and special events.
· Coordinates with the Missions team on youth mission opportunities.
· Work directly with the Next Gen team to eliminate silos and encourage intergenerational participation whenever possible.
· Provides leadership, organization, training, support, encouragement, accountability and appreciation to Youth Ministry volunteers.
· Ensures that approved, responsible adult volunteers are in compliance with the Church Protection Policy guidelines and that all student ministry activities are adequately supervised.
· Creates and manage the budget for Youth Ministry.
· Attends VPC, Children’s Ministry, and Next Gen staff meetings and other meetings as required.
· Encourages the volunteers, parents, students and the church to participate in the lives of the youths at VPC and the local community by attending school and educational events, sporting events, theater and musical programs, and social events not sponsored by VPC.
· Collaborate with Children’s Ministry to implement transitions for rising 7th grade students.
· Provide resources for parents to support them in raising their children in the Christian faith. In your partnership with parents (or in the absence of believing parents), collaborate with volunteers to mentor and support to students, as needed.
· Work with the Next Gen team and other departments as needed to ensure we offer support to those students with special needs to the best of our ability.
Section 4. Knowledge, skills, abilities and Personal Characteristics necessary to perform the job; required qualifications, experience and certifications for the position
· Bachelor’s degree or higher educational degree is required; masters is preferred.
· Five to ten years of relevant experience in youth ministry.
· An articulated faith in Jesus Christ, sound Biblical knowledge with a reformed understanding, and intentional spiritual growth practices lived out in daily life and in serving the church.
· Passion to see youth both currently at VPC and those not yet reached come to the fullness of faith in Jesus Christ.
· Enthusiastically affirm and be guided by the values, vision, and mission of VPC.
· Ability to agree to and sign the VPC Biblical Standards for Leadership.
· Possess working knowledge of the stages of child and faith development.
· Managerial and organizational skills, including attention to detail.
· Basic proficiency of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Database experience a plus.
· Ability to recruit, screen, train and supervise volunteers and direct reports.
· Strong communication, teaching and public speaking skills
· Able to work during core office hours as defined by the Next Gen Senior Director.
· Able to follow and implement VPC’s Church Protection Policies and Procedures effectively.
· Actively seeks professional growth opportunities and participation in approved continuing education.
· Counseling skills a plus.
· Possess a good driving record that will allow coverage under VPC insurance.
SECTION 5. WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands are those necessary to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. The director must be able to meet the physical demands of interacting with students during various indoor/outdoor activities. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.