About the job
Valley Community Baptist Church, located in Avon, Connecticut is looking for qualified candidates for the position of Executive Pastor (XP).
Valley Community Baptist Church, (“VCBC” or Valley), a member of Converge Worldwide (Baptist General Conference), is a vibrant, evangelical congregation, with an average attendance of 1250 in worship attendance per week and drawing from multiple communities in the central Connecticut area. Valley is a conservative, congregationally governed, Elder-led, multi-staff church and is known for: (1) biblical, relevant, multi-style worship services and strong preaching ministry; (2) strong ministry to Children, Students and Adults; and (3) constant pursuit of new and innovative ways to do ministry. VCBC is well known for the outstanding contributions and commitment to World Outreach. VCBC relies heavily upon an integrated approach to ministry. Its key ministry staff make up a closely-knit, high functioning team whose members are both skilled and well-compensated, with salary and benefit packages comparable to those found in larger churches across the country.
Reporting directly to the Senior Pastor, the Executive Pastor is the organizational leader of the church who implements the strategic direction of the church and provides oversight for all ministries, freeing the Senior Pastor to pursue his calling and passion. The role of the XP is to lead implementation of the vision and mission of VCBC in ways pleasing to God, placing high value on trust, commitment, relationships, stewardship, unity and excellence. Leading implementation ensures that all church ministries are: (1) moving in the direction of the vision for the church; (2) fulfilling the stated mission of the church and (3) are coordinated in their efforts. The XP must therefore lead, manage and supervise the ministry staff in order to accomplish these goals. The XP is a non-voting member of the Elder Board and an ex-officio member of most church committees (in particular Finance and Personnel).
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will have a history that includes:
· A relationship with the Senior Pastor that is mutually loyal and trusting
· Detailed oversight of ministry organization, development and implementation of long-range and/or strategic plans, priorities, goals and budgets
· Oversight of church administration and the ability to anticipate problems and to embrace and facilitate problem solving processes
· Ability to hold staff accountable for ministry results
· A collaborative style of leading
· Creating an environment that encourages and supports the staff in their ministry areas
ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS
In order to be effective in this role, a successful candidate will be a growing, committed disciple of Jesus Christ who possesses many of the following core gifts or passions:
· A passion to make disciples and a demonstrated ability to do so, both personally and through others, in an organizational and management context. This includes a commitment to the spiritual and skill development of people under his supervision.
· A deep love of the staff under his care and the ability to demonstrate that love through personal interaction and caring as well as through servant leadership. This creates an environment where staff are loved, encouraged and supported in their growth as disciples.
· A gifted leader and team builder who can lead a ministry team in the development and implementation of a long-term, strategic plan and an annual operating plan.
· Strong personal commitment to model Christian disciplines (Christ-like behavior).
· Personal and emotional maturity; is authentic and genuine as a person and pastor.
· Empathetic yet objective and discerning.
· An engaging personality, both publicly and personally.
· Four-year college degree is required
· Advanced degree in ministry is strongly preferred
· Ten or more years of related leadership experience required, preferably in a large multi-staff church
· Ordained or qualified to be ordained
Avon is a vibrant town at the heart of the Farmington Valley. Its resident population has steadily increased, reflecting and supporting an already substantial and growing base of industries and businesses. Old Avon Village, Avon Marketplace and Riverdale Farms are home to retail and dining venues. Along Route 44, Avon’s main thoroughfare, are medical and dental facilities, specialty shops, food markets, and a variety of business establishments. Town parks and bike and walking trails are found throughout the town. Avon, with a population of 18,300 (2019 figure), is in Hartford County and is a suburb of Hartford, the state capital. It has been named as one of the best places to live in Connecticut. Living in Avon offers residents a suburban feel and most residents own their homes.
Interested individuals should forward a cover letter, resume, written testimony and call to ministry to:
Executive Pastor Search
Valley Community Baptist Church
590 West Avon Rd.
Avon, CT 06001
- Or –
No Phone Calls Please
Cover letters and resumes are due by December 31st