About the job
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF MINISTRY
Department: Executive Team
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Hours/Week: Full Time
FLSA Status: Ministerial Exempt
Benefit Eligibility: Full Benefits
Job Class: Senior Leader
Schedule: Sun – Thurs, evenings
Location: UPC Main Campus
In partnership with the Senior Pastor and Executive Director of Operations, the Executive Director of Ministry supports the mission and vision of UPC by providing strategic integration and alignment to all of UPC’s ministries while building and deploying effective processes for leadership development and management. Our mission is to be: a family of communities joining Jesus to transform our lives and the lives of neighbors at the University of Washington, in our neighborhoods, and all around the world.
· Work with the Session, Senior Pastor, and Executive Team to ensure UPC makes decision according to its vision, values, and primary strategic focus.
· Be a trusted partner in ministry and sounding board for the Senior Pastor, ensuring their vision is refined, effectively communicated, and strategically integrated into the fabric of ministry.
· Develop a strategic model that demonstrates how every ministry at UPC contributes to the vision and mission.
· Work with the Executive Director of Operations to be the primary leaders of the strategic calendar, mapping out priorities, identifying goals, and tracking progress against a shared dashboard.
· Partner with the communication team so they are able to “keep the main thing the main thing” through every medium and channel.
· Working through key staff leadership, appropriately integrate the values of Formissional Community (formation as disciples, on mission for neighbors, in community as family) into every discipleship ministry at UPC.
· Develop and oversee systems that launch, sustain, and develop communities that embody Formissional Community with neighbors both in our immediate neighborhood and in the neighborhoods of Seattle.
· Partner with departmental elders, teachers, leaders, parents, and key congregational members in articulating vision, setting goals, implementing action plans, and evaluating effectiveness.
· Work with leaders to translate vision into action through effective teamwork, implementation, management, and accountability.
· Provide oversight and alignment to the guest experience, engagement, and retention process, working in partnership with the Exc. Director of Operations to reduce barriers and ensure UPC’s Church Management System is working to support healthy growth (follow-up to new people, growth group updates, etc.).
· Partner with University Ministries to integrate student ministry and students more fully into the life of the church
· Partner with the Worship Arts Dept. to plan and review weekly and seasonal worship services.
· Build the capacity of UPC’s ministry for Global Culture and to involve participants of many cultures and ethnicities.
· Model and shape a culture centered on Jesus in which mission for neighbors grows out of our own experience of him and our own personal transformation in him.
· Develop and execute systems of leadership development and management that shape culture and raise the leadership bar throughout UPC (including elders, staff, and lay leaders).
· Develop staff for both personal transformation and growing professional effectiveness.
· Equip staff to recruit, equip, align, and appreciate lay leaders, teachers, and volunteers of all ages.
· Develop strategic relationship with ministries and leaders throughout the region.
Lead, develop, and manage the following staff leadership:
· Pastor of Care and Kindred Community
· Pastor of Discipleship
· Pastor of Global Ministries
· Director of Family Ministries
· Director of Missional Communities and Young Adult Ministry
· Director of University Ministries
· Director of Side-By-Side
· A dynamic walk with Christ and participation in his mission in the world.
· A minimum of 7 years in strategic ministry leadership with hands-on experience building, developing, and managing robust teams.
· High self-awareness with an ability to “read” others and the way they are perceived by them.
· Experience leading in a cross-cultural and multi-ethnic environment.
· A clear, honest, and strong communicator with demonstrated executive presence on and off the platform.
· An ability to influence, build relationships, and foster spiritual, emotional, and relational development.
· A collaborative and decisive leadership style that builds trust, equips leaders, sets goals, and encourage accountability.
· Effective planning and organizational capacity with strong execution and follow-through skills.
· Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple and complex projects to desired outcomes.
· Aware of popular culture as well as the trends and movements that impact contextual ministry in an increasing post-Christian setting.
· A bachelor’s degree is required; however, a master’s degree in theology or another related field preferred.
· Character: Constructive attitude, genuine humility, spiritual vitality, and teachable character.
· Competence: Resilient flexibility, other-focused, results-driven, and God-honoring excellence.
· Chemistry: Relationally intelligent, works collaboratively, and shared commitment to vision of UPC.
· An active participant in the ministry of University Presbyterian Church.
· Theological alignment with our “Essential Tenets” of faith
· An ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality.
· Demonstrate Christ-centered behavior by treating people with dignity, respect, and compassion.
· Attendance at all mandatory meetings and events, including Sunday services and special services like Easter and Christmas, unless special permission is given.
· Computer literate, including website and social media platforms.
· This position requires some travel, overnights, and a flexible schedule to respond to ministry needs.