About the job
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRY
Department: Family Ministries
Reports To: Director of Discipleship
Benefit Eligibility: Full Benefits
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Schedule: Sun – Thurs, evenings
Job Class: Associate Dir II
Location: UPC Main Campus
Our desire in youth ministries at UPC is to create a strong community in which youth can encounter Jesus Christ, grow in their faith, and embody Christ in the world. We desire to partner with families and the entire congregation to support youth in developing a faith that will thrive in culture and context, helping them become life-long disciples of Jesus Christ. The Associate Director of Youth Ministries (ADYM) will work closely with the Director of Discipleship, Director of Children’s Ministry, other staff, elders and lay leadership teams to maintain high quality programming and strong discipling relationships with youth and their families. ADYM will focus on building a scalable, biblical ministry – planning, implementing program and training volunteers. Specific programmatic responsibilities include Sunday morning gatherings, mid-week evening program, volunteer leader development, small group ministry, outreach, retreats, and mission trips. The ADYM will collaborate and support the Children's Ministry team assisting with department-wide activities, and coordinating with other departments when necessary.
· Collaborates closely with the Pastor/Director to articulate vision, strategize, evaluate, and address issues in the Youth Ministry.
· Recruits, develops, trains, and encourages volunteer teams.
· Supervises interns or staff coordinators.
· Plans, implements, and develops quality programming for youth (6th-12th grade) that is relevant to their lives, theologically sound, and provides tools for their faith formation on Sunday mornings and mid-week evenings. · Facilitates small groups for youth.
· Communicates clearly and regularly with parents.
· Works with the family ministries admin to oversee all administrative work for this ministry – curriculum, communication, timelines, room scheduling, attendance records, team rosters, etc.
· Manages the Youth budget.
· Collaborates with the Worship Department (and other departments) to facilitate integration of Youth into the worship life of the congregation.
· Collaborate with Children’s Ministry and University Ministry for transitions into and out of Youth Ministry.
· Works with the Associate Director of Local Missions to facilitate missional/service activities and outreach with the youth which may include mission trips, day trips to serve with mission partners, speakers or activities at youth gatherings, etc.
· Plan, organize, and implement trips or retreats such as a mission trip, attending a week of summer camp, and putting on a weekend retreat during the school year.
· Participate as an active member of the staff at UPC, collaborating on staff teams or committees as needed, staff meetings, etc.
· Participation in UPC staff meetings, such as staff devotions, all-staff lunches, and Touchpoint meetings
· Weekly staff check-in: Meeting with Supervisor
· Deep and growing faith in Jesus Christ
· Theological alignment with our “Essential Tenets” of faith
· Experience leading or volunteering with, 6-12th grade youth
· Cross-cultural experience and competence preferred
· Experience developing discipleship curriculum for 6-12th grade youth
· Administrative and organizational skills
· Strong interpersonal/communication skills
· Ability to support and facilitate ministry teams
· MA/MDiv Preferred
· Ability to work collaboratively with the staff team and other departments
· Some travel required (retreats, camp, mission)
· Energy and enthusiasm for a varied work schedule (late nights/early mornings), including Sundays
· Possibility for overnighting at Camp or foreign settings