Worship Director at United Methodist Church of Thousand Oaks
Thousand Oaks, CA
About the job
Position: Worship Director
Hours of Employment: Part-time, 10-12 hours per week. Working hours will increase during "high church" holidays.
Pay: Hourly, depending on experience.
Accountability: Reports to Senior Pastor
Effective Date: July 1, 2022
If you are interested in applying or for more information, please email email@example.com or call (805) 495-7215
-Provide dynamic leadership and music direction for weekly Sunday services, currently a "blended" service format with both "traditional" hymns and "contemporary/alternative" praise songs.
- Be a spiritual leader of the Worship ministry, modeling prayer, patience, hospitality, and other Christian attitudes at all times including at rehearsals, church meetings and discussions.
- Reflect a joyful spiritual attitude to staff and faith community.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Direct and develop music ministry teams
a. Review worship service with Senior Pastor
b. Recruit and equip volunteer singers and instrumentalists from the church or community. Future projects may provide an opportunity to increase working hours and may include:
i. Developing a Children's Choir in collaboration with Children's Director and Senior Pastor
ii. Developing a praise band
iii. Identifying and engaging local musicians, choirs, etc. to perform music during service
c. Lead choir practices
2. Direct and develop worship experience
a. Select, prepare, and coordinate songs and special music appropriate to the season and biblical text for each service
b. Coordinate with Senior Pastor in regards to worship services and oversee all special worship services including, but not limited to, Holy Week and Christmas services. Lead the coordination of staff, all ministry employees and volunteers in such planning, with approval by Pastor
3. Engage with the UMCTO faith community
a. Participate in weekly staff meetings
b. Attend, lead music, and participate in a weekly UMCTO Sunday worship service
c. Attend, lead music, and participate in "high church" holidays (such as Advent season, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Pentecost)
d. Attend, lead music (in both English and Spanish), and participate in Messy Church, a monthly UMCTO multicultural worship service (preferred)
Education and experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent (preferred)
- United Methodist background and theological perspective (preferred)
- Candidates must pass background check
- To be proficient in and able to lead from piano and/or guitar
- A working knowledge of live sound
- A working knowledge of recorded/broadcast sound (preferred, but not required)
- Ability to lead music in Spanish (preferred, but not required)