Director of College and Young Adults at Trinity United Presbyterian Church
Santa Ana, California
About the job
Director of College and Young Adult Ministries
Building a community fully alive in Christ.
Ministry Position: Director of College and Young Adult Ministries
Accountability: Reports to Student and Family Associate Pastor
Ministry Responsibilities Summary:
The Director of College and Young Adult Ministries will invite, teach, equip and connect students, young adults, interns, and “young marrieds” as they grow in becoming fully alive in Christ. This position will also assist in campus ministry at the local colleges.
College Age Ministry
o Develop comprehensive strategy to disciple students as they transition spiritually into adulthood.
o In collaboration with the High School Ministry Director, facilitate the equipping of seniors as they transition to living out faith in college.
o Plan coordinate and implement a variety of ministries which cultivate faith and connection of both away and local college aged students at Trinity.
o Prepare and facilitate weekly Bible Studies and sermons.
o Provide pastoral support for individual college students.
o Reach local colleges for connection and outreach.
o Provide spiritual and intellectual resources for students as they seek to explore and grow in faith.
o Provide a launch point for students to connect to the life of the larger church body at Trinity.
o Form a community of committed and mature adult ministry partners who empower, encourage and support college and young adults as they live into their true identity in Christ.
o Develop and lead ministry opportunities of service, connection, evangelism and growth. Including outreach programs, leadership development opportunities, small groups, camping trips, mission experiences, and other special events.
o Lead campus outreach to local colleges
Young Adult Ministry
o Provide a touch point for young adults to enter into the life of the larger church body.
o Plan and facilitate fellowship opportunities for young adults to connect with one another and invite other peers into community.
o Organize small groups for prayer, learning and fellowship.
o Provide opportunities to serve the church and local community.
o Organize and facilitate retreats and other shared experiences that will cultivate faith and connection.
o Provide marriage resources and create small groups for newly married couples to encourage and equip each other, while providing touch points for larger church engagement.
o Offer pastoral support as Young Adults grow in faith and tackle difficult life issues.
o Assist in regular worship services and monthly night of worship
o Collaborate and lead broader reaching classes, workshops and seminars.
o Strengthen cross-ministry focus at Trinity working across ministries and departments to reach people and grow disciples, such as a collaborative programming with Adult and Student Ministries.
o Attend appropriate workshops, meetings, and conferences as determined in conjunction with supervisor.
o Manage budget for the College and Young Adult Ministries.
o Utilize social media to maintain connection, provide encouragement and communicate priorities with college and young adults.
Position Classification: Exempt (salaried) position, payable semi-monthly.
Description of Schedule: 40+ hours per week; attend monthly meetings, some at night; is an active and committed member of the Trinity family including attendance in weekly Sunday worship.
Training Required: Attend regional and national training events as time and funds permit. Any combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s degree in religious studies or related field and post graduate work in theology and experience working with students and/or young adults in a church setting.
Accountability & Review:
Reports directly to Student and Family Associate Pastor
Skills & Competencies:
· Ability to develop, implement, and edit comprehensive ministry plans
· Strong communication, facilitation, and organizational skills
· Thrives on responsibility, multi-tasking, and leadership
· Effective training and coaching skills
· Proficient user of Word and understanding of how to utilize social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc) for ministry communication.
· Is a Leading Believer: Vibrant relationship with Christ, established in the basics, ready to disciple others
· Possesses a deep Biblical and theological knowledge with a passion to clearly communicate God’s Word in a clear and compelling manner
· Is an outgoing person who is flexible, creative, able to lead, self-motivated, is honest, and has a good sense of when to talk and when to listen
· Knows their spiritual gifts and can help encourage others in their spiritual gifts
· Lives a life that models Christian character, spiritual leadership and a growing relationship with Jesus Christ
· Passion for College and Young Adult evangelism, discipleship and empowerment
· Proven ability to recruit, train, and encourage ministry partners and staff
· Awareness of a broad range of curriculum and materials
· An understanding and commitment to the Reformed tradition and Reformed theology
Experience & Education:
· Bachelor’s degree in ministry, theology or Biblical Studies
· Three years’ ministry experience
· Willingness to learn ECO Presbyterian polity as it pertains to church membership, leadership, and service
· Theological knowledge and background.
· Experience, passion, sense of call and relevant spiritual gifts will transcend education
Work Environment/Method/Styles: People Oriented, Pastoral, Empowering, Teacher/Facilitator, can work both independently and with teams
Desired Spiritual Gifts: Teaching, Discernment, Encouragement, Leadership, Shepherding/Disciple Maker, Wisdom, Evangelism
Job Type: Full-time
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org