Associate Pastor for Intercultural Life & Student Ministry at Trinity Church of the Nazarene
Rowland Heights, CA
About the job
Contact us for a full recruiting package.
Position Associate Pastor for Intercultural Life & Student Ministry
Description Student ministry in the San Gabriel Valley comes with challenges and incredible opportunities. The culture in greater Los Angeles is complex and fast-paced which impacts student ministry in many ways. There are educational pressures, secularization, saturation of digital technology to name a few. However, ministry among Generation Z (born between 1999 and 2015), comes with one of the most energizing and hopeful opportunities for the 21st-century church. According to Barna, half of Gen. Z in nonwhite making the most racially and ethnically diverse generation in American history. The enthusiasm and passion young people bring to the table are invigorating. Their hunger for the Kingdom of God and the thought of them sharing the Gospel message of hope while living out a consecrated life is inspiring and life-giving.
We believe an incarnational approach to our diverse student ministry will help us foster an environment that is sustainable and captures the imagination of our students by empowering them to follow Jesus and disciple their friends. We envision a ripple effect in the whole church since youth are conduits for change and transformation. As a result, our church has a vision to move toward becoming intergenerational as well as intercultural by ministering together while embracing and celebrating diversity.
We are looking for someone willing to pour themselves out in the life of students, partner with their families and dialogue with their communities in order to build a movement of evangelism, discipleship and leadership development. We are looking for a visionary leader who embodies an apostolic function with a shepherd heart, someone who has soft eyes and uses the capacity of youth leaders. We are looking to set the bar high, and will match this with a commitment and care from our church, Lead Pastor and staff that will help to make this vision possible.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Gather, cast, and execute vision
- Passion to come alongside students and help them deconstruct the secular stories of our day and lay a compelling biblical and theological foundation
- Solution generator – proactively engages with new initiatives to build the youth ministry
- Pursue reconciliation – Assumes the best.
- Collaborator with other ministries and leaders
- Organized, creative, servant leader
- Highly empathetic leader – Listen more and talk less.
- Holds students and leaders accountable – encourages, equips and empowers them.
- Organizational and administrative skills. Passion for thinking systems. Technical capacity.
- Heart to build and collaborate with youth leaders in the community and in our denomination.
- Train interpreters and translators in our church
- Support and collaborate together with our ethnic Pastors alongside Lead Pastor
- Facilitate the integration of the different cultures
- Develop a core intergenerational and intercultural team of youth leaders.
- Meet with student leaders for care, encouragement, discipleship and accountability.
- Facilitate our Friday night discipleship nights alongside youth leaders.
- Communicate the Word of God in our student ministry
- Collect stories and testimonies to communicate what God has been up to in our youth ministry both internally to staff and church board as well as supplying the narrative for external communications with the students’ friends and the larger community.
- Connect with and support parents by providing resources and giving clear and consistent communication
- Collaborate with other ministries to promote and encourage the youth to engage in corporate worship, serving, mission, etc.
- Participate in the district events such as summer camp and our denomination such as NYC.
- Assists Lead Pastor in the Ministry of the Word
- Ready to serve on Sundays during the English worship gatherings
- Maintain our church digital presence (e.g., maintenance of the church website) as well as help recruit and shepherd volunteers to aid/train in these responsibilities.