About the job
The English Pastor supports the Lead Pastor in leadership and administrative role at GLA church in its Mission and Vision: become a gospel-centered community in redeeming relationship to God and to the people, who will be captivated by God’s love, grow together in His Spirit, serve and share the Gospel of Jesus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Pastor shall:
- Model a deepening relationship with Christ through prayerful dependence, studying scripture, having a missional mind-set, intentionally creating relationships through a vibrant Christian life.
- Support the Lead Pastor as they together oversee the affairs of the church, typically specialized in specific operational areas in the English congregation such as youth or young adults.
- Lead, equip, and provide accountability for the ministry teams as they carry out the vision of the church. He is also expected to cooperate with the church’s Deacon board and Leaders.
- Fill in when the Lead Pastor is not available:
- Preach and teach the Gospel, coordinate worship and other congregational life activities.
- Fulfill the sacerdotal duties of the pastoral office (i.e. weddings, funerals, ordinances).
- Be heavily involved in outreach, follow-up newcomers, and providing pastoral visitations.
- Provide biblical counseling to church members regarding spiritual matters. Refer to professional counselors when necessary.
- Always accomplish the work of the church, when appropriate, through the work of volunteers.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS: The Pastor must:
- Be a faithful man, who agrees with the Statement of Faith of GLA church, who is sensitive to the Holy Spirit and has the gifts necessary to lead and teach. He must meet the scriptural qualifications for the position as outlined 1Tim.3:1-7, Titus1:5-9, and 1 Timothy 5:17.
- While he might not be ordained yet, the Associate Pastor should be on the ordination track in the Christian & Missionary Alliance or similar denominations.
- Have competency to fulfill the purpose and professional responsibilities of this position.
- Be a curious life?long learner with a teachable attitude.
SPECIFIC DUTIES: The Pastor will:
- Participate in regular staff meetings with the Pastors as well as leadership meetings of the church
- On an ongoing basis, plans for, organizes, and implements operational activity programs for the specific areas of ministry assigned to him in the English congregation. Currently the pressing needs of the church are:
- Pastoral oversight in the development of lay-leaders in Students Ministries (College, Youth, Children)
- Administrative organization for the First-Impression Teams (Setup, Teardown, Hospitality)
- Recruit/train the volunteers for ministry, and develop leaders for the church
Meet with other partnered-church leaders at VAY as needed for joint ministry.
- Wisely represent GLA at the District conference and other functions.
- Formally be evaluated and held accountable by the Deacon board every two years.
NOTES ABOUT THE CHURCH: We (GLA church) are a community of believers dedicated to fulfilling the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:36-40) and Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20) among the Vietnamese immigrants, their descendants, and their friends in the Greater Los Angeles context. Located in Los Angeles, the most diverse city in California, over the past 42 years, the GLA church has been evolving from a Vietnamese-only immigrant church to a multicultural multigenerational multi-ethnicity church with more than 50% are English speaking members coming from at least 6 different ethnicities (Vietnamese, Indonesian, Filipino, Chinese, Korean, Caucasian). There are diversities in generations, languages, and cultures among church members. At this point we are looking for an Associate Pastor/Assistant Pastor to serve the English congregation of the church.
Any questions, please email [email protected]