About the job
Sojourners is seeking an Immigration Narrative and Power-Building Organizer to lead a robust campaign that honors the God-given dignity of every person, protects family unity, and promotes thriving communities.
The Immigration Narrative and Power-Building Organizer is part of the SojoAction team. They will equip and mobilize church and lay leaders to accompany immigrant communities and advocate for just immigration policies. They also work to increase and support immigrant people’s leadership in the church.
The Immigration Narrative and Power-Building Organizer will work 80% of the time in immigration issues and 20% in other intersectional areas including: racial justice, health equity, maternal health, and climate, economic, and gender justice.
- Research and create immigration messaging frameworks that move people of faith to actively engage in immigrant justice, honor the experience of BIPOC immigrant people, and help make immigration a voting priority for people of faith.
- Help identify, track, cultivate, and strengthen Sojourners’ external relationships with immigration leads, partners, and coalitions across the progressive faith landscape through conference calls, meetings, event planning, and projects.
- Research policy issues, track media and legislation, and lead internal campaign strategy in collaboration with the SojoAction Team and Sojourners Political Director.
- Build capacity for supporters in the Faith-Rooted Advocate Network (FRAN) to engage in advocacy through quarterly trainings, book clubs, training webinars, coaching calls, general action opportunities, and more.
- Compile and distribute asylum resources for faith communities seeking to begin accompanying asylum seekers.
- Identify strategic opportunities for Sojourners/SojoAction supporters to advocate for just immigration policies.
- Draft strong policy and program updates, email campaigns, and action pages to mobilize Sojourners/SojoAction constituents.
- Draft social media content related to immigration campaign.
- Develop programming and organize logistics for campaign issue-related forums, strategy sessions, speaking engagements, actions, congressional meetings, conferences, etc.
- Support the planning and execution of mobilizing actions and/or events, including congressional meetings, rallies, marches, and/or conferences.
Lead rapid response efforts with media, mobilization, and communications staff.
- Supervise Mobilizing Fellow.
- Collaborate with Sojourners’ Advancement Team. Propose and give feedback in setting grant objectives and reporting deliverables. Track relevant activities for deliverables.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years of relevant experience working in U.S. immigration justice movements.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Experience in church and people of faith organizing around immigration.
- Understanding of organizing principles and ability to train others in them.
- Knowledge of advocacy in the U.S. political system and ability to train others in it.
- Strong project management skills.
- Communications or narrative work experience.
408 C St. NE
Washington, District of Columbia 20002