About the job
Sierra Madre, CA is a town of approximately 11,000 in the greater Pasadena area in Los Angeles County, at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument. The San Gabriel Valley is home to approximately 2 million residents.
The Sierra Madre Church of Christ is an independent, tightly knit, family oriented group of believers who have worshipped faithfully together for over 60 years. The demographics of the ethnically diverse congregation include retirees, working families and presently few youth members. Most of the members live in adjacent towns, and average attendance on a typical Sunday is 30. Many members have an affiliation with Pepperdine University and are supportive of the school. Members also sponsor several local and international ministries. The congregation owns a facility on Lima Street in Sierra Madre, suitable for supporting a diverse set of activities for a congregation of up to 200 members.
Theologically open-minded and truth seeking, with practices consistent with the Church of Christ traditions, members share a common love for God’s word and an interest in continuing to minister in the area. The predominant ministry model has been to hire Pepperdine-affiliated faculty/staff to preach on a rotating basis. The church has never employed a full time pastoral or preaching minister, although a few of the current preaching ministers have a history with the congregation that dates back many years.
An eldership assisted by deacons historically has shepherded the congregation, but the current leadership model comprises a group of deacons/board of directors (no elders).
The congregation seeks to hire a full-time minister to lead, shepherd, and organize efforts for the congregation to grow spiritually and numerically.
Skills: Ability to ideate, lead and organize ongoing efforts for church renewal and revitalization. Plan and implement church growth strategies and community outreach. Desire to pastor among the congregation, encouraging members, visiting the sick/homebound, organizing follow up on various needs. Leadership ability to organize members for worship participation, curriculum development, small groups and general congregational life. Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills. Ability to build consensus, while still embracing differences of opinion and working within a diverse group of members.
Qualifications: Demonstrated ability to shepherd congregational growth, academic degree in in a related field and several years of full-time ministry experience in a local congregation of the Churches of Christ, Christian Church, or similar tradition. The congregation will also consider a candidate with other ministry occupations such as missionary, counselor, or religion professor who has served as a part-time minister.
Reporting to: The minister will report to and work with the leadership team of the Sierra Madre congregation.
· Plan and coordinate a growth trajectory including community outreach, networking with local colleges and universities, and other congregations and participate in the life and meeting the needs of the community.
· Initiate a small group program or other gatherings for fellowship and outreach outside of Sunday mornings.
· Minister to and encourage housebound and sick.
· Provide regular outreach and facilitate counseling.
· Organize, promote, and lead member outreach (e.g., provision of meals, transportation, etc.).
· Plan and implement Sunday services including member participation. Serve as worship leader.
· Preach once or twice per month. Weekly pulpit ministry is not required or expected.
· Assist in curriculum development and identifying teachers for Sunday School program.
Communication and Organization
· Assist in producing weekly bulletin / newsletter.
· Work with members on enhancing social media presence.
· Maintain accurate records / roster of active members.
· Manage and reply to church inquiries.
· Maintain appropriate accessibility.
Term: Minimum contracted period of two years.
Currently meeting online. Looking to gather in person this summer.