About the job
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Be involved with the life and ministry of Shadow Hills Presbyterian Church.
2. Assist with the Church day to day operations including Realm, answering the phone, responding to emails, assist with property usage, assist with annual report, maintain the church office supplies and equipment, update church records, maintain the website and work with the Pastor and Elders to support the ministries of the Church as they arise. Administrative Tasks will account for approximately 8 hours of the 20 hour a week position.
3. Have a relationship with and get to know some of our Community Partners. These include AHEAD with Horses (a therapeutic riding program for children with disabilities), Shadow Hills Presbyterian Preschool, Tierra del Sol (working with adults with special needs), The Bailey Center (a local food bank), Chapel of the Hills (a ministry with the homeless) and Caring Across Generations (A group of Christians, Muslims, and Jews united on Justice Issues)… Our Pastor is very involved with these different groups but would like our outreach director to know them as well.
4. Preach four times a year.
5. Connect with our youth twice a year (this could be something simple such as taking them bowling or it could be organizing a volunteer activity with them)
6. The tasks and hours will change due to the season, life of the church and needs of Pastor Arlo. We are very involved in outreach and so different programs and activities will arise.
Terms of Employment: The position is 20 Hours a Week. The hours are flexible other than Church on Sundays from 9-11:30. Other hours will change depending on the individual’s schedule and the current needs of the Church and upcoming programming. This position could be adapted into an Internship if the individual is in Seminary. A description of benefits and general information is described in the Employee Manual.
Who we are as a Church:
We are a diverse group of individuals located in Sunland (off the 210). Our campus is used by different non-profits almost every day of the year, we are working on personally engaging and interacting with them more. Sunday Worship often consists of preaching but at times it incorporates prayer stations, interactive and dramatic readings, hands on activities or “Messy Church.” We incorporate contemporary, traditional and Taizé music in our services.
We are a welcoming and affirming congregation to the LGBTQIA Community. We have members with disabilities and are encouraged to move, wear ear plugs, sit on a yoga ball or do whatever allows them to feel comfortable in worship and be part of the community. We have a Pray-ground and are starting a new Sunday School Program. Some of members quietly work on Blankets for children in need during the Church service (we encourage this by having a Linus Blanket Station in the Sanctuary). We believe that a Church is not a building and that worship should not be boring. Worship is not an end unto itself, it should propel us into the community to serve as disciples.
1. Have a servant’s heart and a love for the Gospel of Jesus. Have a commitment to share that love with the community.
2. Know or be willing to learn how to maintain and oversee the Church office.
3. Be willing to explore new ways to be the Church in the community.
4. Previous experience with Church work and/or Community involvement.
5. Self-motivated with the ability to think creatively.
6. Cooperative and flexible team player with the ability to support and facilitate volunteer workers.
Accountability: This position primarily reports to the Pastor. The Administrative Elders (generally two) assist with supervision and general office requirements. Along with the Pastor, the Administrative Elders are responsible for the hiring and evaluation of all church staff.