About the job
Position title: SCBC Summer Intern
Position status: Two Start Dates:
10 weeks: May 30 start date
8 weeks: July 4 start date
Ministries: Children’s Ministry
Reports to: Children’s Ministry Pastor & Children’s Ministry Summer Supervisor
Direct reports: Children’s Ministry Summer Supervisor
Posting Date: 2/24/2022
Application deadline: Until the vacancy is filled
SCBC the Church
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese, and Mandarin)
multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough,
Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America.
We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
The individual will be working closely with Children’s Ministry leaders to further develop their
leadership and administrative skills through providing support for Children’s Ministry
programs, care for families, community food banks, and SCBC’s community garden.
1. Children’s Ministry
• Under the leadership of the Children’s Ministry Pastor and Children’s Ministry Summer
Supervisor, plan and execute the camp programs for children aged 4-12 (SK-Grade 6),
and youth transitional support from elementary to junior high school.
• In partnership with the SCBC Youth Ministry, plan and execute a transitional strategy for
children who are entering Junior High (Grade 7) in September 2022.
• Assist with the video production for online content to minister to kids and families.
2. Community Food Bank & Garden Care Support:
• Assess and call the families, prepare food hampers alongside other volunteers for food
• Prepare and maintain SCBC community garden on a weekly basis
• Be involved in the recruitment process of volunteers, including interviewing and selecting
• Plan and provide the necessary training to volunteers for the camp setting. (eg.
puppeteering, safety protocol training)
• Supervising and leading the volunteer team to execute camp programs.
Any other related duties assigned by the Pastor of Children’s Ministry or Children’s Ministry
Capabilities and Characteristics
1. Passion to serve
• Accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, confessed your sins, and decided to follow
• Sustained passion for serving children, youth, and families within the community;
Christ-centered and a strong commitment to God’s mission in a large-sized local church. •
Participate and contribute to our weekly team devotion
2. Personality and Abilities
• Excellent written and verbal language skills in English are critical.
• Great interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to set work priorities, good time management, and work-time flexibility. •
Experienced and willing to work in a collaborative team environment.
• Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
• Passionate in social justice and poverty issues are an asset
• Knowledge of the Scarborough community is an asset
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
1. Eligibility: This position is funded by the Federal Government under the Canada Summer
Jobs program, the applicant must:
? be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
? be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection
has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the
duration of the employment; and,
? have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally
entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial
legislation and regulations.
2. Education, language, and work experience
• Experience working with volunteers in a not-for-profit setting.
• English speaking of any ethnic background.
• Fluency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin is an asset.
• Past experience serving in past SummerFun camps is preferable.
2. Technology and computer skills
• Advanced skills in Google Drive, MS Word, and Excel.
• Good understanding of social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, and other social
media best practices are preferred.
• Planning Center Online (PCO) training will be provided as the operational requirement. •
Familiarity with web design and publishing is ideal.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license is ideal.
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as
possible to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote “SummerFun 2022 Summer Supervisor” in the subject line.
As SCBC Staff need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the
community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their
application cover letters—whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If
offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their
COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID
vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid reasons, such requests will
be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work
environments. If contacted by a Search Committee member in relation to an
employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at
that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free
selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview
will be contacted.
? Work times may vary depending on the program operation requirements.
? The work schedule will be discussed during the interview.
? This is an hourly-based project, therefore statutory holidays are unpaid.
? SCBC has applied for Canada Summer Jobs funding for the advertised position, if
our application is successful it will be funded by the Federal Government under the
Summer Job Program accordingly.
? For inquiries please contact: email@example.com