About the job
6 Weeks: June 24, 2024 - August 2, 2024
Next Generation Ministry
Pastor of Next Generation Ministry and Next Generation Ministry’s Summer Supervisor
January 11, 2024
Until the position is filled
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese, and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond in seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
The individual will be working closely with Next Generation Ministry leaders to further develop their team leadership and administrative skills through providing support for Next Generation Ministry programs, care for families, community food banks, and SCBC’s community garden.
1. Next Generation Ministry
· Under the leadership of the Pastor of Next Generation Ministry and the Next Generation Ministry Summer Supervisor, plan and execute the camp programs for children aged 4-12 (SK-Grade 6).
· In partnership with the SCBC Youth Ministry, plan and execute a transitional strategy for children who are entering Junior High (Grade 7) in September 2024.
2. Community Food Bank & Garden Care Support:
· Assess and call the families, prepare food hampers alongside other volunteers for food bank operation.
· Prepare and maintain SCBC community garden on a weekly basis.
· Be involved in the recruitment process of youth leadership, including interviewing and selecting suitable candidates.
· Plan and provide the necessary training to the leaders for the camp setting. (e.g. puppeteering, safety protocol training)
· Supervise and lead the SummerFun team to execute the camp programs.
4. Work Environment and other Work Duties
· Work times may vary depending on the program operation requirements.
· The work schedule will be discussed during the interview.
· Any other related duties assigned by the Pastor of Next Generation Ministry and/or the Next Generation Ministry Summer Supervisor.
Capabilities and Characteristics
1. Passion to serve
· Accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, confessed your sins, and decided to follow Jesus.
· Sustained passion for serving children, youth, and families within the community.
· Christ-centered and a strong commitment to God’s mission in a large-sized local church.
· Participate and contribute to our weekly team devotion.
2. Personality and Abilities
· Excellent written and verbal language skills in English are critical.
· Great interpersonal and communication skills.
· Ability to set work priorities, good time management, and work-time flexibility.
· Experienced and willing to work in a collaborative team environment.
· Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
· Passionate in social justice and poverty issues are an asset.
· Knowledge of the needs of the Scarborough community is an asset.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
SCBC is applying for the Federal Government funding under the Canada Summer Jobs program. The applicant must:
· be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period; and
· be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
· have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
2. Education, language, and work experience
· Experience working with volunteers in a not-for-profit setting.
· English speaking of any ethnic background.
· Fluency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin is an asset.
· Experience in planning and leading camp programs will be an asset.
· Past experience serving in SCBC SummerFun camps is preferable.
3. Technology and Computer Skills
· Advanced skills in Google Drive, MS Word, and Excel.
· Good understanding of social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, and other social media best practices are preferred.
· Planning Center Online (PCO) training will be provided as the operational requirement.
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements to [email protected] with “SCBC Summer Intern 0624” as the subject line.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Funding for this position is subject to the Federal Government’s approval of SCBC’s application for Canada Summer Jobs funding.
For inquiries please contact: [email protected]