About the job
SCBC the Church
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
SCBC is committed to making the church relevant and engaging for the younger generation. The Next Gen Ministry Assistant will help build an environment where kids and youths come to KNOW Jesus, GROW in their relationship with Him, and GO out into the world to make a difference. With an emphasis on providing leadership in spiritual growth, connections, and team building, he/she will walk alongside our kids and youths during this season of their life and ensure that we are all working together to make disciples of the younger generation.
The leader we seek will work in collaboration with the pastoral team, deacons, and lay leaders in a team approach to holistically minister and support the discipleship of our younger generation. He/she will be equipped with space and resources to make a significant Kingdom impact. This position reports to the Charge Pastor of Next Gen Ministry.
- Ensure that the Next Gen ministry is functioning in an effective, focused manner
- Facilitate regular meetings and programs
- Recruit and mobilize lay leaders. Encourage and support them to mentor, love, serve and teach team members through both informal gatherings and formal programs.
- Help oversee the expenditures of the Next Gen ministry budget
Building & Equipping
- Help plan, develop, and implement well-balanced biblical programming for growth opportunities in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach
- Help coordinate logistics for retreats, field trips, short term missions, etc.
- Mentor and equip volunteers in developing their leadership skills and to grow spiritually and socially
- Foster the mutual accountability and strong relationships among serving teams
- Follow-up on first-time guests and connect them to the SCBC family
- Provide prayer support and care to the Next Gen in conjunction with the lay leadership team and the pastoral staff
- Work in collaboration with other SCBC pastors when required
- Explore the application of emerging technologies that help engage more Next Gen and volunteers in the ministry of the church.
- Develop and maintain an online presence via social media platforms to maintain communication with students, parents, the congregation, and community with information regarding Next Gen ministry events and programming. Collaborate with Communications Team(s) where necessary.
- Assist with enforcement of safety and Plan-to-Protect guidelines, volunteer background check organization and administration.
- Be an advocate for Next Gen of their hopes, concerns and needs in the local church and community
- Attend ministry leadership meetings as an active member
- Join the current SCBC pastoral staff in serving a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multigenerational evangelical church of 1,500+ regular Sunday attendance
- Be aware of resources for developing the Next Gen ministry programming and in continuing education events and training opportunities
- Attend theological training as recommended by the Next Gen Charge Pastor
- Attend applicable conferences
CAPABILITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
1. Mature faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the
local church (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4).
2. An authentic and proven passion for making disciples and reaching the next generation.
3. Can clearly teach and illustrate Biblical concepts focusing on reaching those who are not
Christians and discipling those who are in Christ.
4. Ability to implement a strategic vision with creative out of the box ideas.
5. Team player with strong servant-leadership and communication skills within a large multigeneration
6. Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development.
7. Strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues – ability to
communicate effectively with Next Gen and families.
8. Strong administrative and organizational skills.
9. High capacity with the ability to adapt and problem-solve.
10. Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world and familiar with the use of social media platforms for communication purposes is an asset
11. Willingness to get to know and do life together with leaders, always seeking to keep short accounts, care for, encourage, respect, encourage, and love each other.
12. Be a self-starter with drive and passion, and a continual learner.
13. Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist
faith and practices
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Minimum 3 years of experience in a church or para-church ministry. Experience in Children,
Youth, and/or College Ministry an asset.
2. Bachelor’s degree required. Theological education from an accredited institution an asset.
3. Proficient in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese/Mandarin an asset.
4. Ability to pass a background check.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to [email protected] or by mail to:
Search Committee for Next Gen Director
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “Next Gen Ministry Director” in the subject line.
As pastors of SCBC need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their application cover letters—whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid
reasons, such requests will be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments.
If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity,
please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be