About the job
Position title: English Ministry Charge Pastor
Position status: Full-time permanent
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Direct reports: English Ministry Pastoral Staff
Posting Date: May 25, 2021
Application deadline: Until the position is filled
SCBC, THE CHURCH
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
The English Ministry Charge Pastor will provide spiritual and pastoral leadership for the whole English-speaking congregation. He/she will be responsible for the overall direction, development and coordination of the English Ministry. He/she will lead the team of English Ministry pastors to shepherd the 300+ members, preach and teach the Word of God, and provide oversight of all English ministries and church life. The English Ministry Charge Pastor will work in collaboration with the pastoral staff, deacons and lay leaders in a team approach to holistically minister and support the discipleship of the English-speaking congregation.
1. Provide leadership in vision casting, and in discerning God’s direction for the English Ministry
- Together with the Senior Pastor, lead the team of English Ministry pastors and deacons to develop vision formation in setting the direction with long-term and short-term goals for the congregation
- Lead the English Ministry to align all ministries and activities with the overall church vision
2. Provide oversight of all English ministries (worship, prayer, nurture, congregational life, care, evangelism and outreach) through working directly and closely with English Ministry pastors, deacons, and lay leadership.
- Oversee the ministries and church life of the 300+ English-speaking worshippers
- Empower and support leadership teams to identify innovative ways in various ministries
- Conduct regular reviews and evaluation of ministry effectiveness and make plans for growth and development with staff and leadership teams
- Act as an active liaison between the English and other congregations of SCBC. Identify synergetic opportunities to enhance church unity.
3. Commit to the ministry of the Word in directing church life
- Engage in regular preaching and teaching of the word of God with sound doctrine, clarity of Scripture and relevancy to all of life
- Collaborate with the Senior Pastor and the English Ministry pastoral staff to strengthen and develop preaching and teaching ministries
4. Commit to the ministry of prayer in every aspect of congregational life
- Commit to lead and teach by example the importance of personal and corporate prayer life towards the building of a praying church
- Lead the pastoral and lay leadership teams to develop a culture of prayer in all ministries
5. Provide leadership, direction and supervision to the English Ministry pastoral team
- Facilitate staff meetings for prayer, ministry planning, and staff development
- Supervise the pastoral team in carrying out the day-to-day operation
- Supervise the pastoral team to develop and implement ministry plans and strategies in alignment with church and English Ministry vision
- Coordinate and manage the pastoral team in performing general pastoral duties including conducting worship services, baptism, the Lord’s Supper, visitations, funerals, weddings, counseling, on-site duties, etc.
- Demonstrate and establish sound work ethics within the pastoral team in operating and practicing discipline with healthy work-rest rhythm, daily devotions, studies, time management and balance in life.
- Work closely with Deacon Board on matters of staff planning, and recruitment matters
6. Provide spiritual care and guidance to the English Ministry pastoral staff and leadership teams
- Provide pastoral leadership to pastors, deacons and ministry leaders serving in the English Ministry. Foster team building and personal development by example and through provision of training, inspiration and motivation to ensure leadership team members are maturing in their faith, growing in their relationship with each other and upgrading their skills.
- Be a ‘pastor to pastors’ and a ‘shepherd to shepherds’ to the team of pastors and lay leaders.
- Develop a culture of strong teamwork and camaraderie that is marked by trust, unity in spirit, mutual care and support.
- Develop and drive leadership development/succession.
7. Join the current SCBC pastoral staff in serving a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-generational evangelical church of 1,500+ regular Sunday attendance in building up a Christ-centered, Scriptural-based church community of vibrant faith, hope and love.
CAPABILITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
1. Mature faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, shepherding heart, a strong commitment and calling to serve the local church (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4)
2. Spiritual wisdom and insight to move the church to fulfill the Great Commission
3. Team player with strong leadership and communication skills within a large congregational context
4. Good understanding and awareness of the North American, multi-generational and multi-cultural church context
5. Strong gifting in the areas of teaching and preaching the Word of God
6. Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development
7. Strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues
8. Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world and familiar with the use of social media platforms for communication purposes is an asset
9. Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist faith and practices
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Minimum 5 years ministry experience in a leading role, preferably in a multi-cultural and extended pastoral team setting
2. A Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or its equivalent in theological education from an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution.
3. Proficient in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese/Mandarin an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to: email@example.com or by mail to:
Search Committee for English Ministry Charge Pastor
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “SCBC English Ministry Charge Pastor” in the subject line of your correspondence.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.