About the job
SCBC, THE CHURCH
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
The Associate Pastor is one who is gifted and is called to church ministry, loves people, and has a passion for the Word of God. He/she desires to always challenge and move a multi-generational congregation towards taking consistent spiritual steps by proclaiming the Word of God with conviction and confidence, by being in the community, and through one-on-one relationships.
The Associate Pastor will work in collaboration with the English Ministry pastoral staff, deacons and lay leaders in a team approach to holistically minister and support the English-speaking congregation. He/she will have a firm grasp on the purpose, values and strategy of SCBC and align key leadership teams with its mission.
? Support the Senior Pastor/English Ministry Charge Pastor in the overall vision casting and leadership of the church’s teaching and weekend service planning, design and execution for the English congregation. Developing goals and objectives for the ministry area in line with the strategic plan.
? Engage in regular preaching and teaching of the Word of God with sound doctrine, clarity of Scripture and relevancy to all of life.
? Commit to the ministry of prayer in every aspect of congregational life. Lead and teach by example the importance of personal and corporate prayer life towards the building of a praying church.
? Supervise and assist various ministerial teams in planning, coordinating and implementing programs related to their areas of responsibility.
? Recruit, teach, train, spiritually support and effectively supervise volunteers for the various ministries.
? Provide clear communication with regards to ministry progress, results, and obstacles to the English Ministry Charge Pastor and the English Pastoral Team.
? Assist in the development of annual budgets for his/her areas of responsibility with the input of his/her ministry team(s).
? Co-work with the Outreach Pastor and the English Ministry pastoral team to provide leadership in reaching out to the community.
? Participate in general pastoral duties such as visitation, pastoral counselling and other leadership roles as assigned by the English Ministry Charge Pastor.
? Collaborate and work closely with current lay leaders in building up a Christ-centered, Scriptural-based church community of vibrant faith, hope and love.
? Work and collaborate with the current English Ministry pastoral team to provide pastoral care and shepherd an English-speaking congregation of 250+ worshippers.
? Join the current SCBC pastoral staff in serving a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi- generational evangelical church of 1,500+ regular Sunday attendance.
CAPABILITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
1. Mature faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the local church (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4)
2. A proven passion for making disciples and developing teams in a growing church
3. Ability to think strategically and involve others in all levels of the disciple-making process
4. Team player with strong servant-leadership and communication skills within a large congregational context
5. Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development
6. Strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues
7. Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world and familiar with the use of social media platforms for communication purposes is an asset
8. Willingness to get to know and do life together with leaders, always seeking to keep short accounts, care for, encourage, respect, encourage, and love each other.
9. Be a self-starter with drive and passion, and a continual learner.
10. Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist faith and practices
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Minimum 5 years of ministry experience
2. A Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or its equivalent in theological education from an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution.
3. Proficient in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese/Mandarin an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to: [email protected] or by mail to:
Search Committee for Associate Pastor Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church 3223 Kennedy Road
Scarborough, ON Canada
Please quote “SCBC English Ministry Associate Pastor” in the subject line of your correspondence.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.