Junior High Ministry Associate at Santa Barbara Community Church
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
About the job
Under the direction of the Pastor to Students and Families, the Junior High Ministry Associate furthers the vision of Santa Barbara Community Church by providing pastoral oversight to the Junior High Ministry. In this role, the Junior High Ministry Associate will design, implement, oversee and evaluate the various aspects of SBCC’s ministry to Junior High students (7th-8th grade). This position plays a significant role in creating and maintaining a culture in which Junior High students are encouraged and challenged to greater discipleship to Jesus.
• Commitment to Christ as Savior and a life of worship and faithfulness
• Agreement with SBCC vision and statement of faith
• Ability to articulate Biblical truth as well as key doctrinal and theological points
• Willingness to co-labor with other members of the SBCC staff in a spirit of joy, humility, and curiosity for the advancement of SBCC vision and mission; teachable and open to feedback and accountability
• Strong organizational, planning skills
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Has experience in youth ministry or related field
• Understands the needs of and has an affinity for young people
• BA or BS degree required
Discipleship Initiatives and Program Oversight
• Plan, oversee, and teach at Junior High Youth Group each Sunday
• Plan, execute, and attend at least one fun monthly event (e.g. Scavenger Hunt, bowling, beach day, etc.) for Junior High students
• Plan, oversee, and attend summer camp and winter camp for Junior High students
• Plan, oversee, and attend service opportunities and outreach trips Junior High students
• Lead a Junior High small group
• Regularly pursue Junior High students outside of Youth Group and church events to cultivate connection and foster relationships (e.g. attending student extracurricular activities, spending time one-on-one with students, maintaining a regular presence on campuses, etc.)
• Work with Pastor to Students and Families to assess hospitality within Junior High Ministry and design and implement strategies to further help new students feel at home within the Junior High Ministry
• Partner with existing staff team to coordinate and plan Junior High worship teams and determine needs
• Plan and execute milestone events (i.e. 8th Grade Promotion Luncheon, etc)
• Under direction from the Pastor to Students and Families, teach students on topical issues via youth group series and/or resource seminars/events (i.e. sexual identity, mental health, being tech-wise, etc)
• Assist the Pastor to Students and Families in the training and guidance of Summer Interns
Partnering With Leaders and Parents
• Communicate regularly with parents and leaders via weekly email and/or other means to provide updates on the Junior High Ministry
• Meet regularly with parents of Junior High students to cultivate relationships and provide pastoral care and support
• Regularly meet with leaders for encouragement and equipping
• Attend and help conduct regular leader training opportunities, community building and retreats as directed by Pastor to Students and Families
• Participate as active member of SBCC staff including attending weekly Tuesday staff meetings
• Actively participate in life of SBCC including Sunday services, church retreats, homegroup membership, etc
• Participate in general Youth Ministry team including weekly team meetings, internship oversight, etc.
OUR CHURCH AT A GLANCE
Inviting young and old to the truly good life in Jesus and the family of God, Santa Barbara Community Church is a church that is joyfully faithful, relentlessly relational, collectively invested, and generously engaged.
Each church has unique characteristics and SB Community is no exception! Here are some important, high-level descriptors that outline what you can expect to encounter in this church family both in belief and practice.
• We are an evangelical, Bible-teaching church.
• We best fit in the Reformed theological tradition.
• We are a part of the Converge affiliation of churches.
• We teach and practice believers’ baptism.
• We are committed to an approach to church life that calls for high investment in one another’s lives and the life of the broader church family.
• We practice shared leadership at every level and see the primary role of church leadership as equipping the saints for the work of the ministry.
• We affirm the ministry of gifted and Spirit-empowered women in every arena of church life, including as Elders and in preaching.
• We uphold traditional and historical Bible teaching on marriage.
• We believe that personal faith has social implications and we advocate and work for justice in our community and in the world.
• We enjoy a strong commitment to gospel engagement and demonstrate a generous posture toward other kingdom-aligned churches and ministries, both locally and globally.
If you would like any additional information on these commitments, please feel free to reach out. We would be happy to provide supplemental information or to engage in ongoing conversation as you discern whether SB Community might be a good fit for your passion, skills, and calling. Visit our website for more information about our church.