Director of Young People Ministry at Santa Ana United Methodist Church
Santa Ana, CA 92705
About the job
The Director of Young People Ministry will be responsible for developing, coordinating, and administering an effective and comprehensive ministry for young people between grades 6-12 and college and to their families that grows disciples of Jesus Christ so that they can transform the world. This person will be part of a Discipleship Team, working alongside the Director of Children’s Ministry and reporting to the Lead Pastor. This person will work collaboratively with the Discipleship Team to establish a vision for young people ministry as well as build the infrastructure necessary for a sustainable model of young people ministry, including a commitment to the position for at least a three- to five-year term.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Young People Ministry will:
- Develop young people ministry (middle school to college) programing that supports the mission and vision of Santa Ana United Methodist Church, creating an engaging environment to reach youth and to inspire them to continue seeking and serving the Lord Jesus Christ throughout their lives.
- Implement programming for the spiritual formation of young people, coordinating weekly events around the “five pillars” of young people ministry: Worship (e.g., summer nights of worship, Young People Sunday, conference and district camping/retreats, musical offerings, etc.); Study (e.g., Bible studies, short-term and long-term topical studies, etc.); Fellowship/Recreation (e.g., beach day, movie night, road trip, sporting events, joint activity with other church young people groups, etc.); Outreach (programs and activities that share God’s love with those outside the SAUMC family, e.g., Vacation Bible School, holiday food drive, Love the World Sunday (community clean-up, deliver food to first responders), etc.); Service (e.g., mission trips, service projects, volunteer training/meetings, etc.)
- Oversee the development, planning, and implementation of comprehensive formation for young people including (but not limited to) weekly middle, high school, and college group meetings, faith formation classes on Sundays, Confirmation class, small groups, and Bible study.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Children’s Ministry to develop a comprehensive and cohesive Christian formation plan.
- Plan and coordinate retreats and trips, participate in and encourage involvement in South District and Cal-Pac Conference young people activities with other local congregations within the Mission Area with an emphasis on local community involvement.
- Develop personal relationships with young people by creating a welcoming, fun and inclusive culture, being a friendly resource and positive role model, and providing spiritual counseling as needed; also develop close ties with parents to support youth faith formation.
- Identify, develop, and disciple young leaders, creating opportunities for them to be involved in leadership roles in Santa Ana United Methodist Church.
- Track and follow up with visitors to all youth programs.
- Foster relationships with adult parishioners to develop a committed network of volunteers for the youth ministry.
- Communicate program information to young people, parents, and the parish at large through a variety of media in a timely fashion, including social media, church website, youth newsletter and a youth calendar.
- Ensure that all church guidelines are followed including Safe Gatherings and church transportation policies.
- Work with program leaders and staff members collaboratively to support the mission of Santa Ana United Methodist Church.
- In consultation with the appropriate person(s), create, maintain, and steward the financial resources for young people ministry and prepare an annual budget for recommendation to the Finance Committee.
- Ensure records for all youth and volunteers are up to date and attendance is tracked for all events in church management software.
- ttend staff and discipleship team meetings.
- Coordinate young people activities with the church master program and facilities calendar.
- Attend regular staff meetings, weekly worship and coordinate young people’s ministry in coordination with pastoral staff, under the direction of the Lead Pastor.
- Commit not to intentionally bring harm to Santa Ana United Methodist Church.
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of four years of experience in young people ministry, and an openness to, respect for, and an ability to navigate a multicultural context. The Director should exhibit high integrity, sound judgement, ability to handle challenging situations, with quick decision-making and problem-solving skills, grace under pressure, and a good sense of humor.
Candidates must have:
- A well-grounded and robust Christian faith, with the ability to articulate it to young people.
- A demonstrated commitment to working with young people, parents, and volunteers in a high-energy and dynamic environment.
- Outstanding leadership and relationship skills for educating, inspiring, and empowering young people, teachers, volunteers, parents, and reaching out to newcomers.
- Knowledge of the Bible
- Knowledge and understanding of relational/incarnational young people ministry.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; a degree in young people ministry, Christian education, or similar is especially welcomed.
This position requires approximately 20-30 hours per week including nights, weekends, and multi-day summer trips. The Director must hold a valid driver’s license and own a vehicle with insurance and a safe driving record. Employment at Santa Ana United Methodist Church requires a background check, drug screening, completion of the Safe Gatherings program, and completion of all application forms.
Work hours: 20-30 hours per week.
Sunday is considered a workday and may be taken off only with prior permission.
Submit a résumé that includes at least two references (one professional and one personal).
Materials should be e-mailed to Rev. Kitione Tu’itupou, [email protected] or mailed to Santa Ana United Methodist Church, Attn: Rev. Kitione Tu’itupou, 2121 N. Grand Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92705.