Director of Youth and Young Adults at Sanlando United Methodist Church
About the job
Summary of Position
PURPOSE: To develop and empower a sustainable Youth Ministry for grades 6-12, and an effective Young Adult Ministry for ages 18-25.
MISSION: To make sure every student is affirmed as a child of God and is equipped to be mobilized into seeking a deeper connection with Jesus Christ, other people, and the world.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Director of Youth and Young Adults (DYYA) will be under the overall supervision of the Senior Pastor, Rev Jonathan Tarman. The work of the DYYA, on behalf of the congregation, is subject to the review of the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC).
SUMMARY: The DYYA’s role is to create, coordinate, and supervise the ministry of middle, high school, and young adult students of Sanlando United Methodist Church and beyond.
Core Administrative and Leadership Responsibilities
- Plan and execute Sunday school, Sunday night youth group, and small group ministry for students.
- Spend time off-site investing in relationships with Sanlando students as well as other unchurched teens and young adults.
- Build and maintain a volunteer team of adults including some directly involved with the youth ministry, others supporting the broader effort through service, and some who will serve on the Youth Team.
- Make provisions for continued upkeep of all necessary means of communication with students and their parents. Reply promptly to all personal communication.
- Participate in Sunday morning worship and encourage students to do so as well.
- Cooperate with and assist parents of teens in their responsibility to raise their children in Christ.
- Regularly offer Confirmation classes for youth at the appropriate age.
- Regularly attend staff meetings.
- Participate in the broader programming of the church and be responsible for its general health and well-being, along with all other members of the Sanlando staff.
- Accept overall responsibility for managing the youth budget.
- Assist and enact special events, such as retreats, mission trips, work projects, Youth Sunday, Senior Banquet, fundraising events, Pumpkin Patch, summer camp, Youth Week, and any other ministry events.
ASSISTANCE: Assist Pastor from time to time with Sunday service, visitation needed to be done, or anything which will help the DYYA grow in their ministry position.
RELATIONSHIPS: The primary working relationships of the DYYA will be with the Senior Pastor, the Staff Parish Relations Committee, and the ministry team members associated with this job description. A collegial relationship with the entire staff is necessary and will be fostered on a regular basis, involving periodic staff meetings.
EVALUATION: The Pastor will fill out an evaluation form for the DYYA and give regular encouragement and feedback.
HOURS: The DYYA is a full-time position averaging 40-45 hours a week.
COMPENSATION: A competitive salary based upon experience and education, a cash stipend in lieu of an employer-sponsored health plan, paid vacation/sick days/federal holidays, and voluntary participation in a retirement savings plan.
Sanlando United Methodist Church is a highly supportive and loving congregation with centrist Christian theology. We have a quality staff team who enjoy serving Jesus together.