About the job
The Chaplain Resident position provides qualified persons enrolled in PIH Health System full-time Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program with the opportunity to learn skills needed to be a clinical chaplain within the Spiritual Care Department at PIH Health. This 9 month Chaplain Residency goes from Sept 5, 2022 to June 9, 2023.
Chaplain Residents must first apply for and be accepted into the ACPE Certified CPE program by the CPE Certified Educator. To maintain residency, students must complete consecutive CPE units and continue their participation in the CPE program in order to qualify for the stipend and benefits for Chaplain Residents.
Education, Training and Experience
• BA or BS Degree, with additional graduate theological education
• Or has met equivalent life educational experiences as determined by the CPE Educator.
• M.Div. or other master’s degree in theology, pastoral care, or equivalent education
• One completed unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Engage in culturally appropriate spiritual care conversations, assessing and addressing spiritual needs for people of all faith traditions and/or no spiritual affiliation.
2. Coordinate patient coverage with staff chaplains and other student chaplains on assigned units.
3. Develop collegial relationships with interdisciplinary staff on assigned units.
4. Participate in activities, special events, and services sponsored by the Spiritual Care Department.
5. Attend and participate in interdisciplinary rounds as appropriate, representing patient’s spiritual and emotional interests.
6. Respond to patient, family, and staff requests for spiritual support, getting consultation as needed.
7. Maintain accurate documentation regarding patient visitations.
8. Demonstrate PIH Health System’s vision of “Patients First” care.
9. Actively participate with Spiritual Care Department staff as a student representative member of the team in meeting and joint activities for the benefit of the hospital.
10. Actively fulfill the requirements of the CPE program.
11. Conduct one’s self in accordance with PIH Health policies and ACPE Code of Ethics.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.