About the job
Job Title: Worship Arts Director
Job Type: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Work Week: Sunday – Thursday
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Direct Reports: Producer, Volunteers
Weekly Attendance: 850
To support the mission of Outer West Community Church (OWCC) by overseeing the execution of an authentic, meaningful, contemporary worship experience.
- Lives out OWCC’s mission, vision, and values.
- Embraces OWCC’s staff, partnership, and leadership covenants.
- Partners with weekend service leaders to plan and evaluate services.
- Plans and implements creative elements to enhance services including stage designs, on screen content, and other visual elements.
- Plans and oversees worship and production team members responsible for rehearsal and/or weekend services.
- Serves as primary worship leader and service producer as needed.
- Develops, resources, and oversees worship and production ministry and administration which includes event calendar, budget preparation, and volunteer onboarding.
- Integrates and cultivates strong relationships with volunteers and pursues additional musicians and vocalists to serve in leadership positions.
- Supervises, trains, and challenges worship and production team members to reach their maximum potential through effective leadership, encouragement, and appreciation.
- Oversees and ensures all worship and production team members adhere to the Worship Arts handbook; making updates as needed.
- Ensures volunteers complete the volunteer application process prior to serving.
- Manages and participates in the annual budget preparation to ensure adequate funds for the assigned area.
- Monitors and approves expenditures; directs and implements budgetary adjustments, as necessary.
- Models and guides fiscal responsibility and stewardship for the church.
- Attends all staff and partnership meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college. Major coursework in music, ministry, or related field preferred.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in music/worship and/or a high degree of musical competence in band leadership, music and worship ministry, modulation/transposition, and improvisation.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of strategic and collaborative leadership styles and models.
- Knowledge of biblical theology as it relates to spiritual formation.
- Knowledge of foundational Christian beliefs and practices.
- Knowledge of elements of worship such as vocal, instrumental, visual, content, movement, etc.
- Knowledge of principles of supervision, training, and performance management.
- Knowledge of project management practices, techniques, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of Planning Center Online and music software (Finale, Logic, Mainstage and Ableton Live).
- Knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary.
- Knowledge of budget development, expense tracking/reporting, and administration.
- Ability to work in a fluid and collaborative environment.
- Ability to lead a group to accomplish a common goal.
- Ability to play the piano or acoustic guitar.
- Ability to plan and organize projects.
- Ability to multitask, work independently, follow direction with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to use computers and a variety of software applications.
- Ability to identify, encourage, recruit and develop culture champions to whom leadership and authority can be delegated to.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through both verbal and written means.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, members, and ministry volunteers.
- Ability to perform all the physical, intellectual, and analytical requirements of the position including decision making.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
Occasional lifting/carrying up to 20 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.
OWCC Staff Expectations:
- Active and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Actively embraces the OWCC staff values.
- Personally engaged with the OWCC mission, vision, and values.
- Embraces and covenants to the OWCC Partnership and Leadership Covenants.
- Partner with other departments to lead, promote, and/or implement ministry initiatives and events.