Director of Children and Youth Ministry at Northridge United Methodist Church
Northridge, California, 91324
About the job
The Northridge UMC Children and Youth Director’s role is to develop and provide spiritual, relational, organizational, and administrative leadership for our children and youth. To create and oversee the Christian Education program for children and youth, such as a weekly Sunday School program for children and youth. To plan and execute children and youth activities such as mid-week activities, confirmation classes, Vacation Bible School, etc. To seek to foster a strong program through building relationships with teachers, students, parents, and church leaders that will strengthen the students’ commitment to the church and growth of faith in Jesus Christ.
The Children and Youth Director is responsible for leading children and youth here at Northridge UMC. He or she is to help introduce, instruct, and nurture children and youth in their Christian faith and in life, through Sunday School, Bible Study, prayer, fellowship, worship, and service. We do this by helping our children and youth to link deeply with God and other Christians, live and grow intentionally, serve up joyfully, and lead boldly.
- Deeply committed Christian, resolved to live and model a Godly lifestyle.
- Passion to facilitate the spiritual growth of children and youth.
- Spiritual maturity and high moral and ethical conduct.
- Flexible, dedicated, dependable, energetic, and personally motivated.
- Capable of effective, relevant communication with youth, families, volunteers, and staff.
- Solid Biblical knowledge consistent with United Methodist theology and practice.
- A passion and the ability to recruit and inspire young children, youth and their families.
- Able to oversee, choose, prepare, and provide balanced age-appropriate materials and messages.
- Active membership in the United Methodist Church is a plus.
- Familiarity with Social Media.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent study in a relevant field of study (e.g., Christian Education).
Prefer a minimum of 1-2 years of experience working with children and/or youth ministry as Sunday or VBS teacher, youth coordinator, summer camp volunteer, etc.
Criminal background check, Certificate of completion for Safe Gatherings and First Aid/CPR, and Sexual Harassment Prevention (which can be completed upon hire).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports to the Senior Pastor and the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
- Invite, encourage and equip a volunteer team to effectively minister to youth.
- Recruit, encourage and coordinate with the parents and guardians of the children and youth to provide strategic planning and visioning. Set goals & direction, evaluate existing ministries and create new ones.
- Plan and provide opportunities for children and youth to experience fellowship, evangelism, discipleship, worship, and mission. Plan and provide for weekly event that expose youth in all stages of the faith to the joys of life in Christ.
- Actively recruit children, youth, and young families through church supported activities and or programs in the community. Plan and equip children and youth to become disciples and engage in the transforming work of Christ in our community and the world.
- Attend Staff meetings to integrate the Northridge UMC Children and Youth Ministry into the whole of Northridge UMC’s ministry.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.