About the job
Are you called to create a community with and to disciple students and young adults? Are you passionate about creating communities in these areas of ministry that help them experience a relationship with Jesus and each other that can grow their souls, relationships and impact in the world? If yes, then NCC is looking for someone like you to lead our Student and Young Adult Ministries. The goal of NCC’s Associate Minister of these ministries is to develop and grow healthy communities by creating spiritually formative experiences, providing meaningful discipleship relationships and community, and guiding them to develop and strengthen their faith in Christ.
Emerging out of the pandemic, NCC has an opportunity to reshape how we approach students and young adults in the diverse and pressure-filled Bay Area Peninsula, by building relationships, being outwardly focused and culturally responsive in order to build trust with students, parents and young adults. Our current Young Adult ministry is home groups based. Our Student Ministry needs a fresh approach to cultivate intentional communities for students at NCC.
The Associate Minister is a full-time position that reports directly to the Senior Pastor. This role is responsible for:
1) The ministry vision, leadership and management of our Student and Young Adult ministries
2) Spiritual discipleship of relationships, programs and events
3) People and volunteer management
4) Communication, education and partnerships
- Develop and implement strategic ministry plans and budgets for middle school (MS), high school (HS) and young adult (YA) ministries.
- Build and oversee ministry teams for each area that are composed of both staff and volunteers. Build these teams using a relationship-based, life-on-life, discipleship model.
- Provide support, integration and leadership for outreach, discipleship and mission activities.
- Represent these ministries across NCC.
- Participate actively in our weekly worship service leadership. Integrate students and young adults in our Sunday morning experience (through tech, worship, hospitality….)
SPIRITUAL DISCIPLESHIP OF RELATIONSHIPS, PROGRAMS, EVENTS
- Develop and implement strategies, programs and activities that grow the health of these ministry communities - to occur in person and/or online during the academic year, over holiday breaks and during the summer.
- Develop and implement memorable, significant experiences for these ministries and their families to commemorate life transitions and spiritual decisions.
PEOPLE AND VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT
- Manage, direct and supervise staff members and interns, including recruiting, training, performance management and professional development.
- Recruit, train and retain volunteers for MS, HS and YA ministry at NCC.
- Cultivate a healthy, grace-filled culture for staff and volunteers.
PARENT COMMUNICATION, EDUCATION AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Communicate with and educate our community to understand and support the spiritual and life development for these areas of ministry.
- Connect with the needs of our community and align with NCC’s overall ministry vision and strategy.
- Develop relationships with our faith community to develop sounding boards, volunteers, and a supportive larger community for each of these ministry areas.
Required Gifts and Skills
The ideal candidate has a strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a deep knowledge of Scripture
and a mature faith. They must have an understanding of youth and young adult development and the important role of parents and mentors, the ability to lead and minister to all ages, and a passion, calling and anointing for leading people to Christ and into full maturity in Christ. The ideal candidate must have demonstrated management, coordination, and team-building skills with volunteers and staff as well as outstanding communication and teaching skills. Ministry experience and an understanding of spiritual formation is essential. They should be willing to make NCC their primary church home and be part of the NCC church family.
- A strong, successful ministry track record with at least five years of professional work in a ministry position
- Bachelor’s degree in ministry or a related field desired
- Positive team and culture building skills and experience
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal and management skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the human and spiritual development of students
- Able to motivate and engage others to serve/volunteer
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic thinking and planning skills
- Demonstrated public speaking experience
- Solid administration skills
- Agreement with NCC’s statement of faith