Interim Pastor – New City Church of Los Angeles at New City Church of Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA
About the job
Position: Interim Pastor - New City Church of Los Angeles
New City Church of Los Angeles (NCCLA) is seeking a full-time Interim Pastor to minister to their church community during their search for a new, permanent Lead Pastor.
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Employment: Full Time, Temporary
Church Size: 100 to 150 people
Estimated Start Date: December 11, 2023
Estimated End Date: June 30, 2023 – may vary due to timeline of permanent lead pastor search
About New City Church of Los Angeles
New City Church of Los Angeles (https://newcitychurchla.com) is a diverse and inclusive church centered on the good news of Jesus Christ. Since 2008, our church has built a community in downtown Los Angeles. We strive to be a warm and welcoming home to people of all races, ages, sexual orientations, socioeconomic statuses, and housing statuses, building community across differences, from Skid Row to the downtown lofts.
- Our church is richly multi-ethnic – there is no majority ethnic group we are committed to equity and anti-racism.–
- Our unhoused neighbors are integral members of our community.
- We respect all immigrants and welcome them as vital members of our community.
- Our church embraces egalitarianism. All genders may serve in leadership and fully participate in church life, and we believe having women in key leadership roles, including as pastors, elders, and teachers, is integral to building the Kingdom.
- In our journey toward greater inclusion, in 2018, New City’s Elder Board welcomed our LGBTQ members to serve in leadership. In 2020, the Board determined that each pastor may decide based on his or her conscience whether or not to officiate same-sex weddings and provide marriage counseling services.
Our commitment to caring for all people is reflected in our core belief in the gospel of Jesus Christ, the boundless love of God, and the authority of Scripture. See our website, https://newcitychurchla.com, for additional information about our beliefs and community.
Vision/Mission: We seek to be an inclusive gospel centered community of lovers of Jesus Christ, who connect people to God, grow together, serve the city and extend God’s kingdom.
Description of the Position:
The position of Interim Pastor is full-time, working in partnership with and accountable to the NCCLA Elder Board. The position is temporary, designed to meet the needs of the church during the process of hiring a new, permanent lead pastor. A candidate hired for the position of Interim Pastor will not be eligible to apply for the position of Lead Pastor. The position encompasses the following areas of ministry and administration:
The Interim Pastor will serve as the supervisor for the NCCLA’s Associate Pastoral Staff, both full-time and part-time pastors. As the staff supervisor, the Interim Pastor will:
- Manage, collaborate with, and provide grace and accountability for Associate Pastoral Staff, including modeling and promoting a healthy, positive staff culture;
- Serve as liaison between the NCCLA Elder Board and the Associate Pastoral Staff;
- Work with Associate Pastoral Staff to identify areas of pastoral ministry in which they want to grow,
such as preaching and pastoral care, and ensure they have the resources and opportunities to do so;
- In partnership with the Elder Board, lead the Associate Pastoral Staff in creating a new strategic plan at the beginning of the calendar year and manage progress in the following months.
Teaching and Spiritual Development
The Interim Pastor will be responsible for providing NCCLA with Gospel-centered teaching and opportunities for spiritual development through the following roles:
- Overseeing Sunday worship services and ensuring their components are consistent with NCCLA’s vision, mission, and values;
- Preaching at Sunday services a minimum of two times per month;
- Planning and coordinating the preaching schedule with Associate Pastoral Staff members, the NCCLA preaching cohort, and guest preachers;
- Planning and/or leading spiritual development programs for the NCCLA community, such as the
Emotionally Healthy Spirituality course;
- Providing pre-baptism instruction;
- Managing and promoting church membership, including working with Associate Pastoral Staff to welcome newcomers and conduct membership classes.
The Interim Pastor will be responsible for several areas of church administration, including:
- Budgeting and managing church finances;
- Creating systems and processes for staff, volunteers, and for the church;
- Along with the Associate Pastoral Staff, providing oversight and pastoral care for NCCLA’s Serve Teams;
- Overseeing and/or directing current church programs, such as the Grow & Serve groups, or serving as an advisor and/or liaison to the volunteers running the programs.
Preparing the Church for New Lead Pastor
The Interim Pastor will take on some key roles in preparing NCCLA for a new lead pastor, including:
- Along with Associate Pastoral Staff, the Elder Board and the Lead Pastor Nominating Committee (LPNC), working to identify present and future church needs and issues;
- Collaborating with the Elder Board and LPNC to prepare the NCCLA community members for the transition to a new Lead Pastor through teaching and counseling.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
The Interim Pastor will be involved in the care and counseling of the NCCLA community in the following ways:
- Working with Associate Pastoral Staff and trained volunteers to ensure members of NCCLA’s community are being cared for;
- Along with the Associate Pastoral Staff, providing pastoral counseling, including premarital and marital counseling, to members of NCCLA’s community;
- Officiating at weddings, memorial services, and funerals, as needed.
- Seminary level education or equivalent experience
- Experience teaching/preaching
- Experience working in /with diverse communities
- Strong administrative skills
? Experience with church finance management
- An understanding of working with church communities in transition
- A sincere and demonstrated commitment to the following:
- The orthodox Christian beliefs, as stated in the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed, and the inspiration and authority of the Bible.
- No restrictions on any aspect of church community experience or activities based on sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, socioeconomic or housing status, or mental health status.
Desired but not required:
- Experience in the role of an Interim Pastor
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through Wednesday, November 29th, 2023.
To apply, the following materials should be submitted to the NCCLA Elder Board via e-mail [email protected], using the subject line “Application for Interim Pastor Position:”
- Cover letter (please include your personal story of transformation)
- File or link to sample audio or video of sermons/teaching
- Three references, at least two of which must be able to speak to your ministerial experience
A background check and reference checks will need to be completed prior to any job offer.
Salary and Benefits:
Monthly Salary Range: $4,100 - $5,800, including base pay and allowances toward housing and healthcare.