About the job
Position Title: Associate Director of Connections
Department: Connections-General / San Mateo
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, San Mateo
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Associate Director of Connections is a key member of our team in San Mateo, California. As part of a multisite church, our San Mateo Associate Director of Connections needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our San Mateo team and report directly to the San Mateo Campus Pastor. In addition, you’ll collaborate with the Associate Directors of Connection from other locations and have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Central Connections Director. All of our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
Our San Mateo Associate Director of Connections must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our Connections Team volunteers and congregation as a whole. You will work with the Campus Pastor and other staff to cast vision and implement programming and services. The Associate Director of Connections will be comfortable directing and managing people from all walks of life. Your volunteers and guests will come from a variety of religious, educational, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It will be important that you lead them from a place of spiritual authority as you discern God’s will for their service. You will spend much of your time recruiting, training, developing, and shepherding the volunteers who do the critical work of helping people engage and take next steps here at Menlo Church in San Mateo.
The Connection Team helps people find and follow Jesus through welcome, prayer, and hospitality. We pray together before people arrive and intercede on their behalf as we pray quietly behind the scenes. The Connection Team physically sets up the lobby and creates a welcoming environment where everyone feels seen, accepted, and that they belong. Our Connections Team sets the tone for someone’s experience as soon as they drive onto the property. We do everything we can so that by the time someone enters the sanctuary, they are in a posture ready to receive all that God has for them, including taking the next step in their discipleship pathway. This may include coming back the next week, participating in Starting Point, or joining a Life Group. The Associate Director of Connections must understand and champion how important the Connections Team is for impacting someone’s experience here in San Mateo.
Our ideal candidate will be a strong leader who inspires people to move into action, handles change and unexpected surprises with grace, and values open and honest communication. The Associate Director of Connections will lead the greeters, ushers, and baristas, affirming each volunteer’s role and impact on our mission to help people find and follow Jesus. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Work as a cohesive unit with our San Mateo team, shaping the future of our campus.
2. Work with the San Mateo campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (i.e., weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas Eve, and special drive-through events).
3. Oversee weekend hospitality, guest services, and other connection events.
4. Recruit, train, and oversee volunteers on for the Connections Team.
5. Shepherd and develop your volunteers.
6. Collaborate with the Campus Pastor and Worship Team to plan weekend services.
7. Work in tandem with the Associate Director of Life Groups to help guests get connected into Life Groups seamlessly.
8. Manage first time guest follow up.
9. Responsible for managing the Starting Point program to help people learn more about Menlo Church and take a step toward building community.
10. Oversee Volunteer Kick Off and Volunteer Appreciation events.
11. Collaborate with the team from Central Ministry and regularly meet with Connections Ministry Leaders from other campuses to collaborate, support one another, and own ad hoc projects.
12. Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
13. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
14. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Campus Pastor, San Mateo.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· Demonstrated ability to create a warm and welcoming environment
Preferred Education and Experience
· College degree
· Experience in hospitality or customer service field
· Experience overseeing and developing both staff and lay leaders in ministry
· Experience working in a church with multiple locations
· Experience with event planning or project management
Knowledge and Skills
· Collaborative leader with a focus on the vision of the whole church
· Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
· Enthusiastic leadership to inspire, coach, and deploy volunteers
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· Professional written and oral communication
· Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools
· Ability to learn new software and programs
· This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· During COVID, this position is currently working remotely
· Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evenings, as needed
· This position is eligible for ministerial licensing
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life