About the job
Position Title: Director of Connections & Adult Discipleship
Department: Connections-General / San Jose
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, San Jose
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Director of Connections & Adult Discipleship is a key member of our team in San Jose, California. As part of a multisite church, our San Jose Director of Connections & Adult Discipleship needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our San Jose team, report directly to the Campus Pastor, and have a dotted line reporting relationship to the Executive Leader over Discipleship. In addition, you’ll collaborate with the Directors of Adult Discipleship & Connections from other locations. All our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
Our San Jose Director of Connections & Adult Discipleship must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to your ministry volunteers and congregation as a whole. The Director of Connections & Adult Discipleship will be comfortable directing and managing people from a variety backgrounds. It will be important that you lead them from a place of spiritual authority as you discern God’s will for their involvement and service. You will spend much of your time recruiting, training, developing, and shepherding the volunteers who do the critical work of helping people engage and take next steps here at Menlo Church in San Jose.
Our Connections Team creates a fun and exciting environment that sets the tone for someone’s experience as soon as they come onto campus. Our ministry draws people in and helps them feel welcome, seen, and know that they belong. You will frequently be the first Menlo staff member to contact guests who have questions, want to get connected, need prayer or other personal attention. Your timely and caring response will set the tone and impact someone’s experience with our church. Our Adult Discipleship Ministry provides the pathway for our community to follow Jesus through group life and other opportunities for discipleship. You will shepherd and develop volunteer leaders who will join you on the mission of discipleship, equipping them to make disciples who make disciples.
Our Director of Connections and Adult Discipleship must be committed to building relationships with and serving our neighbors and local community. We are located in South San Jose next to Pioneer High School, surrounded by low-income housing. Many of those in our community only speak Spanish. As we grow our team, we are committed to finding qualified staff that reflect the populations we serve. You must have a heart for those in need, be sensitive to their pain points and community realities, and know how to reach them. This Director must understand and champion how important Connections and Discipleship are to someone’s faith journey here at Menlo.
Our San Jose team is committed to open and honest conversations, having each other’s backs, supporting each other, and tackling difficult topics together. We do not shy away from awkwardness. Our ideal candidate will be a strong leader who inspires people to move into action, handles change and unexpected surprises with grace, and feels called to lead and develop others. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Work as a cohesive unit with our San Jose team, shaping the future of our campus.
2. Work with the San Jose campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (i.e., weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas Eve, and special drive-through events).
3. Identify, recruit, train, and develop Leaders and Coaches for your ministry teams.
4. Oversee the equipping, shepherding, and care of your volunteers.
5. Own and lead Starting Point, making sure you collaborate with Central and Marketing & Communications to plan and execute all aspects, including scheduling, materials, and content.
6. Protect and own the facility. Create a fun, bright, clean, cheerful, and welcoming environment. Partner with the Campus Pastor, Facilities, and IT to ensure all physical elements are safe, functional, and in working condition.
7. Respond in timely manner to all Digital Connect Card submissions and help guests get the help they need, including receiving prayer, answering questions, getting connected.
8. Provide basic pastoral care as needed and refer when additional care or support is needed.
9. Work closely with the Director of Student Ministries and Director of Menlo Kids to create onramps for students and their families here at Menlo San Jose.
10. Collaborate with the team from Central Ministry and regularly meet with Connections and Adult Discipleship Staff from other campuses to collaborate, support one another, and own ad hoc projects.
11. Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
12. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
13. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Campus Pastor, San Jose.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalency
· Some college coursework
· Must have some experience working in ministry, either on staff or as a lay leader
· Experience overseeing and developing others
· Demonstrated experience recruiting volunteers
Preferred Education and Experience
· College degree
· Experience working in a church with multiple locations
· Experience with event planning or project management
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
· Theological training preferred
Knowledge and Skills
· Knowledge of and commitment to Menlo’s mission and vision
· Collaborative leader with a focus on the vision of the whole church
· Enthusiastic leadership to inspire, coach, and deploy volunteers
· Knowledgeable about connections and adult ministry best practices
· Strong theological foundation
· Gifted in recruitment
· Ability to create a warm and welcoming environment
· Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· Professional written and oral communication
· Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools, including Zoom, Planning Center Online (PCO) and MS 365 (Word, Outlook, Excel, and Teams)
· Ability to learn new software and programs
· Spanish speaking preferred
· This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evenings, as needed
· This position is eligible for ministerial licensing
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life