About the job
Position Title: Menlo Kids Director
Department: Children’s Ministries-General / San Jose
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, San Jose
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Menlo Kids Director will lead an integrated ministry that partners with parents and the broader church family to successfully launch children into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ. There is a place and programming for babies through 5th grade at Menlo Kids. The Director of Kids’ Ministries is a key member of our team in San Jose, CA. As part of a multisite church, the San Jose Director of Menlo Kids programming needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our San Jose team and report directly to the San Jose Campus Pastor. In addition, you’ll collaborate with the Kids’ Ministry Directors from other locations and have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Central Kids Director. All of our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
The San Jose Director of Kids’ Ministries must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our children, their families, and our congregation as a whole. You will work with the Campus Pastor and other staff to cast vision, implement programming and services, and inspire others to love and follow Jesus more deeply. The Director must be highly relational, creative, and be passionate about developing others. Your priority will be on recruiting, training, shepherding, and developing adult volunteers who will be the hands-on leaders who in in turn lead volunteer teams to provide weekend and special services and events for children and their families. The Director will work with families, providing pastoral care, support, and guidance as they raise up children spiritually and relationally.
Our new Director of Kids’ Ministries must be committed to building relationships with and serving our neighbors and local community. We are in South San Jose next to several elementary schools, surrounded by low-income housing. Many of those in our community only speak Spanish. As we grow our team, we are committed to finding qualified staff that reflect the populations we serve. You must have a heart for those in need, be sensitive to their pain points and community realities, and know how to reach them.
Our San Jose team is committed to open and honest conversations, having each other’s backs, supporting each other, and tackling difficult topics together. We do not shy away from awkwardness. Our ideal candidate will be a strong leader who inspires people to move into action, handles change and unexpected surprises with grace, and feels called to lead and develop others. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Work as a cohesive unit with our San Jose team, shaping the future of our campus.
2. Work with San Jose campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas Eve, and special events).
3. Implement the Menlo Kids strategy that draws families into the church and launches children into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ.
4. Proactively reach out to parents and families. Provide support, care, and resources as needed.
5. Recruit, train, schedule, and develop volunteers and leaders.
6. Shepherd, build community, and care for the personal and spiritual health of volunteer teams.
7. Responsible for providing adequate coverage; able to step into any area of Kids Ministry, including welcoming families, checking children in, facilitating large or small groups, coaching, or providing creative support with music, design, or tech.
8. Responsible for the safety of all kids, ensuring adult and teen leaders are screened, participate in mandated training, and maintain healthy boundaries.
9. Collaborate with the team from Central Ministry and Kids Ministry Directors from other locations.
10. Coordinate with the Central Kids Resource Coordinator to ensure all elements and supplies pertaining to the elementary weekend services are prepared and ready ahead of time.
11. Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
12. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
13. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the San Jose Campus Pastor
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalency
· Some college coursework
· Some experience working with young children in a preschool, elementary school, or ministry setting
· Demonstrated experience recruiting, training, and developing volunteers
Preferred Education and Experience
· College degree
· Experience managing staff
· Experience serving on staff in children’s ministry
· Experience working in a church with multiple locations
· Proficiency working with Planning Center Online (PCO) or other volunteer databases
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
Knowledge and Skills
· Strong theological foundation
· Knowledgeable about children’s ministry best practices
· Ability to relate to and support all parents and families
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Positive attitude and interpersonal skills
· Strong written and spoken communication skills
· Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
· Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools, including Zoom, MS 365, Teams, Leadr, and PCO; comfortable learning new technology, software, and applications
· Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
· Gifted recruiter
· Spanish speaking preferred
· Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
· Walk, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, and reach
· Climb up and down stairs
· Finger and hand dexterity to manipulate small objects and operate computer equipment
· Eye hand coordination
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
· Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
· This job regularly operates in a typical classroom setting with low tables, chairs, shelves, rugs, and toys and manipulatives in various storage containers
· This job occasionally operates in a typical office environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, copier, filing cabinets, and telephones
· Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evenings, as needed
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life
· Effective November 1, 2021, all Menlo Staff will be required to abide by the Menlo COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.