About the job
Position Title: Worship Leader
Department: Worship General / Mountain View
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, Mountain View
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Worship Leader is a key member of our team in Mountain View, California. As part of a multisite church, our Mountain View Worship Leader needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our Mountain View team and report directly to the Mountain View Campus Pastor. In addition, you’ll collaborate with Worship Leaders from other locations and have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Senior Director of Weekend Experience. All of our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
Our Worship Leader must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our Mountain View congregation and Menlo Church as a whole. You will work with the Campus Pastor and other staff to cast vision, implement programming and services, and inspire others to love and follow Jesus more deeply. This is a highly visible role which leads worship upfront. However, your primary focus as a ministry leader will be to recruit, train, shepherd, and develop volunteers for our music and production teams. The Worship Leader at Mountain View will also provide leadership and coaching to the student leaders and their worship teams. Prior to COVID, our Mountain View campus had four weekly worship services and a student worship night each week. In addition to overseeing those weekly gatherings, the Mountain View Worship Leader will work with the Worship Leaders from our other locations to plan and execute special events, including Easter and Christmas services.
Worship is not about being in the spotlight or putting on a show. We want someone who knows and loves Jesus, is sensitive the Holy Spirit’s leading, creates an environment where people can draw closer to God, and is a servant leader. Our ideal candidate will be spiritually mature, a strong collaborator and communicator, and be committed to finding and developing volunteers. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
- Work as a cohesive unit with our Mountain View team, shaping the future of our campus.
- Work with the Mountain View campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas, Starting Point, and special drive-through events).
- Design weekly and special event services in collaboration with the Campus Pastor and the Worship Leaders from other locations to create a worship experience that utilizes the worship song pool and supports the teaching series and overall Menlo worship flow and ethos.
- Prepare all music elements and resources needed to direct rehearsals and services.
- Manage scheduling and communication with volunteers utilizing Planning Center (PCO).
- Provide leadership for weekend services, including utilizing and directing two teams of volunteers, the Musicians and AVL & Tech (lighting, slides, projectors, & sound), overseeing set up, walk through, rehearsal, and clean up.
- Responsible for stage design and overall look and feel of the worship space.
- Share up-front leadership and communication responsibilities with the Campus Pastor and provide assistance with pastoral duties as assigned.
- Support worship for Students’ program in collaboration with the Director of Student Ministries.
- Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Campus Pastor, Mountain View.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· Minimum 2-years’ experience leading worship in a variety of settings
· Demonstrated ability recruiting, training, and developing volunteer teams
· Demonstrated experience overseeing, shepherding, and leading lay leaders in ministry
· High school diploma or equivalency
Preferred Education and Experience
· Leading discipleship and spiritual development in a church setting
· Working in a church with multiple locations
· Familiarity with Menlo Church, specifically Mountain View campus and community
Knowledge and Skills
· Ability to lead effectively in front of small and large groups
· Must be able to lead worship from a primary instrument
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Strong written and spoken communication skills
· Proficient musical abilities
· Pastoral heart
· Strong theological foundation
· Knowledgeable about worship ministry best practices
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
· Proficiency with common office & worship applications and collaboration tools (i.e., Office 365, Zoom, PCO, Ableton Live, & Pro Presenter)
· Ability to learn new software and programs
· Stand for prolonged amounts of time
· Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
· Climb up and down stairs
· Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer, musical instruments, and production tools
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color vision, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
· Lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
· This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· During COVID, this position is currently working remotely
· Days and hours of work are generally Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evening, as needed
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life