About the job
Position Title: Menlo Kids Director
Department: Children’s Ministries-General / Mountain View
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, Mountain View
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Menlo Kids Director will lead an integrated ministry that partners with parents and the broader church family to successfully launch children into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ. There is a place and programming for babies through 5th grade at Menlo Kids. The Director of Kids’ Ministries is a key member of our team in Mountain View, CA. As part of a multisite church, the Mountain View Director of Menlo Kids programming needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our Mountain View team and report directly to the Mountain View Campus Pastor. In addition, you’ll collaborate with the Kids’ Ministry Directors from other locations and have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Central Kids Director. All of our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
The Mountain View Director of Kids’ Ministries must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our children, their families, and our congregation as a whole. You will work with the Campus Pastor and other staff to cast vision, implement programming and services, and inspire others to love and follow Jesus more deeply. The Director must be highly relational, creative, and be passionate about developing others. Your priority will be on recruiting, training, shepherding, and developing adult volunteers who will be the hands-on leaders who in in turn lead volunteer teams to provide weekend and special services and events for children and their families. The Director will work with families, providing pastoral care, support, and guidance as they raise up children spiritually and relationally.
Our new Director of Kids’ Ministries will be committed to building relationships with and serving our neighbors and local community. As we expand our community outreach, we hope to welcome and engage the growing number of young families in the area. Our Director of Kids’ Ministries will need to understand and support the relationship we have with First Presbyterian Church and Preschool, as we share a campus and classrooms. We are looking for an innovative leader who thinks beyond assumed constraints without needing to constantly start from scratch. Our ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, feel called to serve children and their families, and naturally works with others to press ahead in fresh ways to serve kids, families, and lay leaders. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Work as a cohesive unit with our Mountain View team, shaping the future of our campus.
2. Implement the Menlo Kids strategy that draws families into the church and launches children into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ.
3. Proactively reach out to parents and families. Provide support, care, and resources as needed.
4. Recruit, train, schedule, and develop volunteers and leaders.
5. Shepherd, build community, and care for the personal and spiritual health of volunteer teams.
6. Responsible for providing adequate coverage; able to step into any area of Kids Ministry, including welcoming families, checking children in, facilitating large or small groups, coaching, or providing creative support with music, design, or tech.
7. Responsible for the safety of all kids, ensuring adult and teen leaders are screened, participate in mandated training, and maintain healthy boundaries.
8. Collaborate with the team from Central Ministry and Kids Ministry Directors from other locations.
9. Coordinate with the Central Kids Resource Coordinator to ensure all elements and supplies pertaining to the elementary weekend services are prepared and ready ahead of time.
10. Provide up to 5-hours per week of support to Central Ministries for online presence of Menlo Kids.
11. Work with Mountain View campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas Eve, and special drive-through events).
12. Foster open communication and a positive working relationship with the Preschool Director from First Presbyterian Church.
13. Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
14. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
15. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Mt. View Campus Pastor.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalency
· Some college coursework
· Some experience working with young children in a preschool, elementary school, or ministry setting
· Demonstrated experience recruiting, training, and developing volunteers
Preferred Education and Experience
· College degree
· Experience managing staff
· Experience serving on staff in children’s ministry
· Experience working in a church with multiple locations
· Proficiency working with Planning Center Online (PCO) or other volunteer databases
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
Knowledge and Skills
· Strong theological foundation
· Knowledgeable about children’s ministry best practices
· Ability to relate to and support all parents and families
· Strong written and spoken communication skills
· Enthusiastic and high energy leadership style
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
· Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools, including Zoom, MS 365, Teams, Leadr, and PCO
· Comfortable learning new technology, software, and applications
· Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
· Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
· Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
· Climb up and down stairs
· Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer and office equipment
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
· Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
· This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evenings, as needed
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life