About the job
Position Title: Temporary Worship Leader
Department: Worship General / SANC
Supervisor: Central Ministry Leader, Young Adults / Central
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Temporary / Part-time 10-hours per week / Non-Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. We have six locations throughout the Peninsula and South Bay. Our Young Adult Ministry moved from a campus-based l ministry model to a centrally led one this past fall. We are in a season of strategizing the best way to support a ministry that is committed to helping all young adults in the Bay Area find and follow Jesus.
During this season, we are in immediate need of a temporary Worship Leader to help us host weekly worship services for our Young Adult Ministry (SANC). The Temporary Worship Leader for SANC will report directly to the Central Ministry Leader of Young Adults. In addition, you’ll collaborate with Worship Leaders from other locations. The temporary Worship Leader for SANC will serve six hours every Sunday and have the flexibility to work the remaining hours when it is convenient for you during the week. This Worship Leader will use ProPresenter to prepare worship slides and coordinate and lead rehearsals with volunteers. All of our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
Our temporary Worship Leader must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our young adult congregation and Menlo Church as a whole. This is a highly visible role for someone who understands worship and is not about being in the spotlight or putting on a show. We are looking for someone who knows and loves Jesus, is sensitive the Holy Spirit’s leading, creates an environment where people can draw closer to God, and is a servant leader. Our ideal candidate will be spiritually mature, flexible, and willing to embrace change. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Work as a cohesive unit with our Young Adult staff and volunteers.
2. Prepare all music elements and resources needed to direct rehearsals and services.
3. Manage scheduling and communication with volunteers utilizing Planning Center (PCO).
4. Provide leadership over musical elements of weekend services, including utilizing and directing volunteers.
5. Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
6. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
7. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Central Ministry Leader, Young Adults.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· Minimum 2-years’ experience leading worship in a variety of settings
· High school diploma or equivalency
Preferred Education and Experience
· Experience overseeing, shepherding, and leading lay leaders in ministry
· Experience recruiting, training, and developing volunteer teams
· Working in a church with multiple locations
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
Knowledge and Skills
· Ability to lead effectively in front of small and large groups
· Must be able to lead worship from a primary instrument
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Strong written and spoken communication skills
· Proficient musical abilities
· Knowledgeable about worship ministry best practices
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· Proficiency with common office & worship applications and collaboration tools (i.e., Office 365, Zoom, PCO, Ableton Live, & Pro Presenter)
· Ability to learn new software and programs
· Stand for prolonged amounts of time
· Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
· Climb up and down stairs
· Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer, musical instruments, and production tools
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color vision, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
· Lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
· This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· Days and hours of work are generally 6-hours on Sunday and 2-4 hours throughout the week (flexible scheduling during the week)
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life