About the job
Position Title: Seasonal Choir Director
Department: Worship General / Menlo Park
Supervisor: Traditional Worship Director
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Part time 5-6 hours per week / Non-exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible. The Seasonal Choir Director is a specialized role and part of our Worship Team in Menlo Park, California. Our choir performs at the 8:30 am Legacy Service on Sundays and supports other special events. The Seasonal Choir Director is responsible for coordinating, directing, and conducting the Menlo Church seasonal choir the months leading up to and including Easter and Christmas. The Seasonal Choir Director will collaborate with and report directly to the Menlo Park Traditional Worship Director.
During the Easter and Christmas seasons, the Choir Director will lead weekly rehearsals to establish and maintain quality and continuity of musicianship. In addition to providing direction with the choir’s musical aptitudes, the Choir Director will provide leadership, helping the choir focus on worshipping God and helping the congregation find and follow Jesus. The Choir Director will encourage fellowship and community amongst the volunteers. Our Menlo Park Choir Director must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our Menlo Park choir, congregation, and Menlo Church as a whole. You will work with the Traditional Worship Director and other staff to implement programming and services that inspire others to love and follow Jesus more deeply.
Our Seasonal Choir Director must have the musical expertise and leadership skills necessary to lead a passionate group of volunteers. We’ll need you to be a non-anxious presence in a creative environment while maintaining productivity. We are looking for someone who knows and loves Jesus, is sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading, and creates an environment where people can draw closer to God. Our ideal candidate will be spiritually mature, a servant-leader, and a strong collaborator and communicator. At Menlo Church, our staff is committed to humility & accountability, candor & compassion, and fun & interdependence.
1. Direct the Menlo Church Choir at the Sunday 8:30 am Legacy Service and support other special events and services as needed.
2. Lead mid-week rehearsals with the Menlo Church Choir every week leading up to Easter (February-May) & Christmas (September-December).
3. Collaborate with the Traditional Worship Director to select repertoire.
4. Research and prepare choir and special music in conjunction with the Traditional Worship Director.
5. Provide necessary guidance and direction during choir rehearsals to assist choir members in achieving the correct tone, pitch, rhythm, tempo, and harmony.
6. Teach voice control techniques to choir members.
7. Establish and enforce performance dress code in accordance with established guidelines.
8. Create suitable choir formations for rehearsals and performances.
9. Lead choir members in warm up before rehearsals and performances.
10. Direct choir members during musical performances to ensure desired sound is achieved.
11. Collaborate with the Menlo Park pastoral team to make sure Menlo Choir members are spiritually supported.
12. Provide care and assist choir members to promptly resolve conflicts.
13. Encourage new membership, conduct auditions to identify and select suitable choir members, and welcome new members into the choir.
Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of humility & accountability, candor & compassion, and fun & interdependence.
Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Traditional Worship Director.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor of Music, or equivalent
· Minimum 3-years’ experience as a Choir Director
· Minimum 2-years’ experience leading worship in a church setting, either on staff or as a volunteer
· Experience as a coach for solo vocalists and instrumentalists
· Demonstrated experience overseeing, shepherding, and leading lay leaders in ministry
Preferred Education and Experience
· Leading discipleship and spiritual development in a church setting
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
Knowledge and Skills
· Excellent musicianship
· Passion for music
· Ability to interpret various styles of music
· Must be able to perform and direct music in a variety of styles
· Positive attitude and effective communication skills
· Ability to lead volunteers effectively
· Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
· Stand for prolonged amounts of time
· Use arms to conduct choir
· Climb up and down stairs
· Depending on where Easter falls and when the Christmas concert is scheduled, this seasonal position typically spans February-May and September-sometime in December
· No guaranteed hours will be scheduled January or June-August
· This job operates in a typical church sanctuary environment
· This position rehearses and leads in a worship setting with lots of large and small equipment, cables, stage lights, and other visual stimuli.
· Regularly scheduled hours of work are Sunday mornings from 7:30-9:30 am and Wednesday evenings from 7-9 pm
· Additional hours for planning and preparation can be flexible
· Effective November 1, 2022, all Menlo Staff will be required to abide by the Menlo COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life