About the job
Position Title: Child Care Giver (multiple openings)
Department / Location: Children’s Ministries / Mountain View & Menlo Park
Supervisor: Menlo Kids Director, Menlo Park Campus
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Part-time typically 3-6 hours per week / non-exempt
Pay Grade: 2
Menlo is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. Our Menlo Park and Mountain View campuses provide onsite childcare during the day while our Mothers Together participants meet onsite. We are currently looking for multiple Child Care Givers to help us provide supervision for infants, toddlers, and young children during the week. Our classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 am-12 pm. You will officially report to the MP Menlo Kids Director while receiving guidance and direction from the Menlo Kids Coordinator. Since we have multiple openings, locations, and days of operation, it is possible you could work at one or more locations depending on your availability. The Child Care Givers will work closely with other Child Care Givers, staff, and volunteers. All our staff comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
The Child Care Giver cares for young children in a warm and supportive Christian environment. You will lead children in activities that reinforce our belief in Jesus through Bible stories, songs, crafts, and other activities. The Child Care Giver must be comfortable adjusting plans and occasionally modifying activities on the spot.
The Child Care Giver must be able to handle surprises or unexpected changes with grace. Our ideal candidate will understand developmental differences in young children, be familiar with childcare best practices, and feel called to serve children and their families. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Responsible for the safety of all children. Understand and be prepared to follow the Emergency Procedures & Evacuation Plan posted in all classrooms. Ensure all adults maintain healthy boundaries with children.
2. Follow all current COVID-19 safety protocols for children, parents, volunteers, and staff. Clearly articulate and enforce safety requirements as needed.
3. Responsible for arriving on time and creating a safe, calm, and welcoming environment.
4. Follow instructions, respond to management directions, and take responsibility for own actions.
5. Interact with children, asking open ended questions that foster curiosity and encourage involvement in activities.
6. Work collaboratively with other childcare staff and build friendly and supportive relationships with all parents.
7. Reflect the strategy of Menlo Kids programs to launch children into a lifetime relationship with Jesus.
8. Read and comply with all rules and requirements included in the current ‘Childcare Training’ document.
9. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
10. Participate in required trainings and or meetings.
11. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Menlo Kids Director and the Menlo Kids Coordinator in Menlo Park.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalency
· Experience working with young children in a childcare setting
· Must get fingerprinted and pass a background check
Preferred Education and Experience
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
· Work experience with early childhood programs
Knowledge and Skills
· Knowledgeable about childcare best practices
· Understanding of the varying developmental abilities of young children
· Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions in English
· Ability to communicate with children in English
· Able to interact well with other employees and parents
· Willingness to be a contributing member of the childcare team
· Ability to apply common sense and carry out duties
· Ability to relate to and support all parents and families
· Stand for prolonged amounts of time
· Walk, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, and reach
· Finger and hand dexterity to manipulate small objects and occasionally operate computer
· Eye hand coordination
· Talk and hear
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
· Occasionally lift and carry up to 30 pounds with or without assistance
· This job regularly operates in a typical classroom setting with low tables, chairs, shelves, rugs, and toys and manipulatives in various storage containers
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. There is constant movement and activity in the room
· Days and hours of work are specific to Mothers Together programming from the middle of September through the middle of May
· Hours at our Mountain View campus would be on Thursday mornings from 9 am-12 pm
· Hours at our Menlo Park campus would be on Tuesday mornings from 9 am-12 pm
· Various holiday weeks will not be scheduled. Child Care Givers will receive exact dates prior to start
· Effective November 1, 2021, all Menlo Staff will be required to abide by the Menlo COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life