About the job
Position Title: Senior Director of Finance & Operations
Department / Location: Executive / Central
Supervisor: Executive Pastor
Direct Reports: Finance, IT, & Facilities staff
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Senior Director of Finance & Operations plays a key role on the executive Leadership Team providing financial expertise and wisdom to help us accomplish our mission, ensure good stewardship, and protect the financial integrity of Menlo Church.
The Senior Director of Finance & Operations is ultimately responsible for the overall financial operations of Menlo Church, including but not limited to accounting functions, payroll, financial planning, property management, tax and risk management, and operations. You will advise the Leadership Team regarding current financial needs, trends, and how they relate to Menlo’s financial policies and procedures. The Senior Director will provide fiscal leadership and move current policies and practices into alignment with the ministry’s future goals. The Senior Director of Finance & Operations will also oversee non-traditional functions such as Information Technology (IT) and Facilities.
Being a part of a church with multiple locations, the Senior Director of Finance & Operations needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work efficiently in a matrix organization. You will report to the Executive Pastor and have a strong dotted line relationship to the Senior Pastor. In addition, you will partner with the other members of the Leadership Team (LT), Board of Elders (Session), and Church of the Pioneers (COPF) to develop and implement funding strategies for the church. The Senior Director of Finance & Operations is the financial liaison with Session and the Finance & Audit Committee, providing guidance and proactive decision making on all strategic financial issues.
The Senior Director of Finance & Operations interacts with all departments and locations, ensuring good stewardship and protects the financial integrity at Menlo Church. You need to be a clear communicator who can explain financial concepts to non-finance professionals in concise and coherent ways so that they understand how to leverage resources. By ensuring financial operations are effective, your department will help those on the campus level fulfill their callings and ministries. The Senior Director of Finance & Operations must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with aggressive deadlines. It is critical that our Senior Director of Finance & Operations has a passion for serving our church, is committed to financial stewardship, and discerns God’s will above all else. Our ideal candidate will be a strong leader, emotionally intelligent, committed to cultivating an environment of trust, and is a mature Christian who can speak truth in love, hold others accountable, and model Christ-like behavior. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
- Provide effective leadership regarding strategic financial planning and modeling. Develop immediate and long-term plans, build flexible and sustainable systems and processes, and establish sustainable generosity.
- Collaborate with Leadership Team (LT), Extended Leadership Team (ELT), Session, and COPF to further the vision and mission of Menlo Church.
- Responsible for maintaining proper internal controls regarding financial reporting and conducting regular reviews of people, processes, and systems associated with financial reporting.
- Responsible for ensuring all reporting requirements are met in a timely basis including external and regulatory reporting, federal, state, local, and local statutes.
- Responsible for the analysis and preparation of annual budget, balance sheet, and forecasts.
- Responsible for annual audit and financial policies. Regularly update Finance & Audit committee employing GAAP reporting standards, manage banking and financial relationships, and control processes and investments.
- Review and sign contracts and serve as primary check-signer for church.
- Responsible for overall risk management, serving as compliance officer to avoid potential issues through proactive oversight of various finance, legal, and insurance matters. Oversee insurance coverage, research options, negotiate with brokers, and implement and monitor compliance with appropriate policies and procedures. Develop annual risk assessment and proactively manage with LT & Session, and work with outside counsel, when necessary.
- Manage and lead the Finance, IT, & Facilities teams. Set SMART goals and create a pathway to achieve results, meet 1-on-1 weekly or biweekly with your team to coach, develop, hold accountable, and invest in each member, both in their leadership and their discipleship. Instill a posture of servant-leadership in staff to improve customer service to all stakeholders.
- Understand the needs of the organization and deliver support services for both immediate and long-term needs. Identify operational needs to support ministry at a multi-site church. Ensure deferred maintenance plans for buildings, IT, adapt safety needs for post-COVID environment, and develop IT network and apps in sync with a hybrid environment.
- Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Executive Pastor.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience in Business, Finance, or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience providing strategic financial leadership to a church or non-profit
- Demonstrated experience as a true business partner to Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, and Board of Elders
- Professional experience managing a team
Preferred Education and Experience
- MA or MBA
- Experience working with Financial systems and applications, including MS Great Plains, Adaptive Insights, Concur, and ADP Workforce Now
- Treasury experience, including familiarity with managing long-term investment portfolio
Knowledge and Skills
- Collaborative leader with a focus on the vision of the whole church
- Receive feedback and constructive criticism
- Team builder, leading by example, and inspiring others to do their work as unto the Lord
- High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Strong financial acumen, able to understand and execute technical financial and accounting activities required for position
- Able to think strategically as well as managing the minute details to implement efficiently
- Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools, including Zoom, Leadr, and MS 365 (Word, Outlook, Excel, & Teams)
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents
- Ability to write reports and professional correspondence
- Ability to share information and use data to guide decision-making
- Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
- Climb up and down stairs
- Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer and office equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
- This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
- During COVID, this position is currently working remotely
- Days and hours of work are generally business hours Monday-Friday with occasional evenings or weekends as needed
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be a committed disciple of Christ committed to serving God and the body of Christ
- Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
- Must be inspired and called to our vision and mission as one church in multiple locations
- Must have spiritual accountability/mentor