About the job
Position Title: Executive Assistant
Department: Executive-General / Central
Supervisor: Transitional Pastor
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Full time / Non-Exempt
Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. We are currently in a season of transition while we search for a new Senior Pastor. In the meantime, our Transitional Pastor provides leadership over our complex matrix organization with six campuses, a centralized ministry and operations team, and direct reports from the Leadership Team. The Transitional Pastor reports to the Session (Board of Elders) and is the official representative of Menlo Church. We are looking for a skilled Executive Assistant to help our Transitional Pastor maximize his time here at Menlo Church. The Executive Assistant will be a trusted, confidential, discerning, and relational person who can represent our church and the Transitional Pastor well. The Executive Assistant will provide essential administrative support to our Transitional Pastor for the duration of his tenure with Menlo Church, where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
The Executive Assistant will utilize expert time management and judgment to conserve and protect the Transitional Pastor’s schedule so that he may use his time wisely. The Executive Assistant will screen and manage all correspondence and meeting requests to prevent interruptions and resolve issues before elevating them to the Transitional Pastor’s attention. The Executive Assistant must be able to judge when to handle questions and issues independently and when to seek input and decisions from the Transitional Pastor and Leadership Team. You will discern the best way to respond on behalf of the Transitional Pastor thoughtfully, accurately, and respectfully. The Executive Assistant must be professional and have the soft-skills necessary to answer questions, direct correspondence to the appropriate people, and always provide outstanding customer service. The Executive Assistant will frequently set the tone by helping others feel welcome and maintaining composure in a fast-paced environment where many people are vying for your attention.
We are looking for someone who has the administrative experience to anticipate needs, take initiative, think critically, and solve problems. The Executive Assistant will need to be task-focused yet relational, remembering that first and foremost, we are a church. Our ideal candidate will have the gifts of administration and hospitality, have a servant’s heart, and be able to handle unexpected changes and conflict with grace. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Utilize expert time management and judgement to conserve the Transitional Pastor’s time by sorting mail, screening and managing correspondence, telephone calls, and meeting requests to prevent interruptions, always working to resolve issues before elevating to the Transitional Pastor.
2. Track the top priorities of Menlo’s staff and Session, manage multiple projects, stay on top of deadlines, and prioritize work by evaluating risk, importance, urgency, and potential business or organizational implications.
3. Manage the Transitional Pastor’s calendar and provide support for internal and external meetings, including adequate transition and travel times. Confirm appointments, arrange for meals and refreshments, prepare all materials, and follow up on action items.
4. Serve as liaison with Session: schedule Zoom meetings, reserve conference rooms, prepare agendas and pre-reads, send out correspondence, coordinate location and meal logistics, maintain minutes, update Session binders, manage Dropbox files, and follow up on any action items or correspondence.
5. Write clear and concise business correspondence using excellent spelling and grammar. Prepare, proofread, and edit correspondence and communications on behalf of the Transitional Pastor.
6. Work with Marketing & Communications, the Leadership Team, and the Transitional Pastor to understand the church’s position and practices on a variety of issues to respond appropriately.
7. Work seamlessly with the Leadership Team, seeking their counsel and input when necessary and providing them with updates as needed.
8. Organize and maintain comprehensive records, including confidential documents and contact information.
9. Welcome visitors and identify the purpose of their visit before directing them to the appropriate department of staff member.
10. Effectively and consistently communicate in a positive, courteous, professional, and tactful manner by e-mail, telephone, and in person with staff, congregants, Session, and others.
11. Manage purchasing and ordering of office supplies for the Central Building. Maintain receipts and process expense reports through Concur.
12. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
13. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Transitional Pastor.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalent
· Minimum 3 years’ experience working as an executive-level assistant
Preferred Education and Experience
· College Degree
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
· Experience supporting multiple c-level executives
· Experience working at a church
Knowledge and Skills
· Self-motivated self-starter able to work independently with minimal direction
· Strong administrative and time management skills
· Demonstrated project management acumen
· Ability to work in a discreet manner, maintaining privacy and confidentiality is a must
· Ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and not intimidated by CEOs
· Type 50+ CWPM
· High level of proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools, including Zoom and MS 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Teams)
· Proficiency working with mobile devices, tablets, digital cameras, and projectors
· Professional written and oral communication
· Basic understanding of budgets and expense reports
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· Days and hours of work are generally during business hours M-F, with an occasional evening or weekend as needed
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life