About the job
Position Title: Campus Pastor, Menlo Park
Supervisor: Executive Director of Campuses
Direct Reports: Campus Staff
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo Church is a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. A Campus Pastor is the primary leader for the staff and ministry at one of our multisite campuses and is as an integral part of the larger vision and mission of Menlo Church. Being a part of a multisite church, our Campus Pastors need to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to lead and follow. As a Campus Pastor of a multisite church, you will work with other Campus Pastors and members of the Leadership Team to strategize and plan for the whole church. We hope to be known as a place where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
Our Campus Pastors must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. As a Campus Pastor, you must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to your team and congregation, inspiring them to follow Christ more deeply. The Campus Pastor will cast vision, oversee recruiting and development of staff, be responsible for weekend services, and collaborate with ministry champions to build effective programs. While your role as Campus Pastor will include teaching from the front occasionally, your focus will be more on developing, managing, and shepherding your teams so that they can make disciples who make disciples.
A Campus Pastor must have a strong desire to learn about and love his or her community. Each location of our multisite church serves a vastly different population. An effective Campus Pastor will understand the local nature of his or her congregation, be sensitive to their pain points and community realities, and know how to reach them. As the Campus Pastor, you will extend God’s love and mercy to those you serve. Our ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, have a well-developed EQ, and can handle conflict in a Christ-like manner. Menlo Church is in a season of transition, so we need a Campus Pastor who can provide leadership and stability, champion changes, hold things loosely, and demonstrate care to those in need.
The Menlo Park Campus is our largest location and the OG of Menlo Church campuses. Due to its size, the Campus Pastor at Menlo Park will devote a large part of his or her time managing the staff. Shepherding and developing leaders at the Menlo Park campus is critical, since those leaders in turn lead other people and ministries. The Menlo Park Campus Pastor will have more interaction with staff than congregants. You will work through other people and teams to get things done. The Campus Pastor at Menlo Park will need to be sensitive to the wide variety of ministries which cater to different ages and styles of worship services. You will oversee the revitalization of our campus, building community, and creating a culture that fosters growth and engagement, especially with the increasing number of young families.
At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Collaborate with other Campus Pastors (CP), Central Leadership Team (CLT), and the Extended Leadership Team (ELT) to further the vision and mission of Menlo Church as a whole. Work with other Campus Pastors to continue to grow all ministries at all locations.
2. Demonstrate personally and in practice the Menlo Church 5 Dimensions of Pastoral Leadership: High-Capacity Leadership, People Magnet, Menlo DNA Carrier, Team Builder, and Effective Communicator.
3. Communicate and model the vision of Menlo Church with the staff and congregation. Manage lateral communication between the functional areas of Worship, Kids, Students, Life Groups, Connections, Outreach & Missions, Creative Production, and Weekend Experience.
4. Provide communication throughout the week through teaching up front, writing newsletters, and utilizing social media. Work with Marketing and Communications to maximize your online presence and emphasize opportunities for people to connect outside of the weekend experience.
5. Manage and lead the campus team; Set SMART goals and create a pathway to achieve results, meet 1-on-1 weekly or biweekly with your team to coach, develop, hold accountable, and invest in each member, both in their leadership and their discipleship.
6. Ultimate oversight for Kirk House Preschool and its staff.
7. Oversee recruitment, hiring, training, and development of campus staff. Work with Human Resources to create job descriptions and provide appropriate staff development opportunities.
8. Collaborate with the Central Ministry Teams to leverage their resources to support your team.
9. Oversee all campus programs, equipping your staff to manage and lead their teams.
10. Lead from up front, effectively teaching and preaching with clarity and authority.
11. Provide pastoral care; meet with congregants in person, over the phone, and via email and text; perform weddings, baptisms, and memorials.
12. Work with team to recruit, train, and develop volunteers for all ministry areas. Inspire congregation to move into action to volunteer and get involved with missions and outreach.
13. Build and develop partnerships with local schools, social agencies, non-profits, and community organizations.
14. Work with Leadership to make and manage a budget, be a wise steward of finances, and cultivate generosity in attendees. Implement strategies to monitor and manage resources effectively
15. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Executive Director of Campuses.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- Completed or in-progress Seminary Degree required
- Minimum 3-years’ experience in ministry leadership or pastoral role
Preferred Education and Experience
- Ordained by ECO encouraged
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong theological foundation
- High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Strong communicator and vision-caster with the ability to inspire action
- Proficiency with Zoom and Microsoft Office Suite, especially Outlook, Excel, & Word
- Experience working with social media, including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Familiarity with MS Teams, LEADR, Dropbox, and Planning Center preferred
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedure manuals
- Ability to write reports and professional correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
- Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
- Climb up and down stairs
- Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer and office equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
- Lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
- This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
- During COVID, this position is currently working remotely
- Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evenings, as needed.
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be a committed disciple of Christ committed to serving God and the body of Christ
- Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
- Must be inspired and called to our vision and mission as one church in multiple locations
- Must have spiritual accountability/mentor