About the job
Position Title: Accounting Supervisor
Department / Location: Finance / Central
Supervisor: Executive Team, Operations
Direct Reports: AP Accountant, Donor Revenue Accountant, & Payroll Specialist (3rd party vendor)
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Pay Grade: 7
Menlo is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Accounting Supervisor is a part of our Operations Team and a key member of our Finance Team. The Accounting Supervisor brings specialized education and financial expertise to help Menlo Church accomplish our mission and ensure good stewardship. The Accounting Supervisor reports directly to the Executive Leader, Operations and supervises the AP and Donor Revenue Accountants and Payroll Specialist. At Menlo Church, everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
The Accounting Supervisor oversees the day-to-day operations of our Finance Team, supervises the staff, and enables the Executive Leader to handle high-level analysis and focus on strategic initiatives. The Accounting Supervisor develops and maintains accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting per Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and oversees General Ledger accounts. The Accounting Supervisor will need to have a strong understanding of all accounting operations including financial reporting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. Additionally, the Accounting Supervisor oversees the payroll function and ensures our employees are paid per company policies and applicable legal statutes.
The Accounting Supervisor will interact with and support employees in every department and location, so it is important that you are customer service focused and have the communication skills necessary to assist people in person, over the phone, and through written communication. The Accounting Supervisor will need to be able to explain financial concepts to non-finance professionals in a clear and concise ways so they can understand.
Our ideal candidate will understand the nuances of accounting in a church setting, have a servant’s heart, and be passionate about protecting the financial integrity of our church. As we grow, it is important that our Accounting Supervisor has the management skills necessary to support and develop other members of the Finance Team. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Oversees the preparation of periodic financial statements and the monthly Session Finance and Audit Committee reports which complies with generally accounting principles or financial reporting standards.
2. Ensure integrity of General Ledger through regular reviews of accounts, departments, and other relevant ledger fields that could impact financial reporting.
3. Manage the month-end and year-end closing, including calendaring and all associated processes to ensure timely and accurate reporting for management and Session, including cash flow management.
4. Ensure the integrity and business controls surrounding the documented system of accounting policies and procedures, including identifying and recommending updates.
5. Facilitate internal leadership of annual audit by setting up the calendar, communicating with staff and auditors, and ensuring we stay ahead of deadlines by monitoring and updating the audit checklist.
6. Manage and lead the Accounting & Payroll staff. Set SMART goals and create a pathway to achieve results, meet 1-on-1 weekly or biweekly with your team to coach, develop, hold accountable, and invest in each member, both in their leadership and their discipleship. Instill a posture of servant-leadership in staff to improve customer service to all stakeholders.
7. Work with various departments to manage budgets.
8. Provide counsel to Sustainable Giving Team where applicable.
9. Keep up to date on developments in finance and ensure compliance with all applicable laws, statutes, regulations, and ordinances.
10. Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
11. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of teamwork and being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
12. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Executive Team, Operations.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or related field
· Minimum 5 years’ experience working in Accounting with specific understanding of GAAP financial reporting
· Minimum 3-years’ experience working in the non-profit sector
· Experience working with cloud-based services to manage data and processes such as Blackbaud or NetSuite
Preferred Education and Experience
· Previous systems experience with GL financial applications such as Sage Intacct
· Previous experience with HRIS/Payroll systems such as ADP Workforce Now
· Supervisory experience
Knowledge and Skills
· Able to understand and execute technical financial and accounting activities required for position
· Solid working knowledge of accounting principles, laws, regulations, and applications
· Understanding of non-profit financial environment and fund accounting
· Attention to details and accuracy
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Ability to receive feedback and constructive criticism
· Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools such as Office 365 & Zoom
· Ability to learn new software and programs
· Expert-level experience with MS Excel
· Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
· Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
· Climb up and down stairs
· Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer and office equipment
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
· Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
· This job operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· Days and hours of work are generally business hours Monday-Friday with occasional evenings or weekends as needed
· Effective November 1, 2021, all Menlo Staff will be required to abide by the Menlo COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life