About the job
Position Title: Substitute Teacher
Department / Location: Preschool / Kirk House
Supervisor: Preschool Director, Kirk House
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Part time On-call / Non-exempt
Pay Grade: 2
Kirk House Preschool is currently looking for multiple Substitute Teachers to join our team. All Preschool staff must have a positive approach to children and use all interactions as opportunities to reinforce the holistic development of each child. Our interactions and curriculum are child-centered and led by the children’s curiosity and interests. You’ll collaborate with the other teachers, aides, and volunteers and report directly to the Preschool Director. Kirk House Preschool is an integral part of the Menlo Church campus in Menlo Park.
Kirk House Preschool provides young children with a positive school experience in a warm and supportive Christian environment. We provide hands-on learning for 3’s, 4’s, and 5’s with the teachings of Jesus Christ interwoven into a developmentally appropriate curriculum. Play is the most important avenue to learning because it actively involves the child in the learning process. We stimulate the child’s innate desire to learn by providing age-appropriate experiences for emotional, social, cognitive, physical, and spiritual development. All staff, including Substitute Teachers, must be committed to creating a safe and secure environment without criticism, so children feel comfortable to freely wonder, investigate, and explore.
The Kirk House staff is a loving and caring team who values every staff member’s contributions. We have a supportive work environment, friendly staff, welcome creativity, and value teamwork. Our ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, have flexibility to work when needed, and feels called to serve children and their families.
1. Responsible for the safety of all children, in both indoor and outdoor settings.
2. Work as a cohesive unit with all Kirk House Preschool staff, supporting and encouraging each other. Participate equally in joint-housekeeping responsibilities.
3. Responsible for arriving on time and creating a safe, calm, and welcoming environment, ensuring all materials are prepared and the classroom and yard are set up before the children arrive.
4. Collaborate with other staff to coordinate planned activities.
5. Implement a wide variety of activities that meet the emotional, intellectual, and social needs of each individual, as planned, while maintaining flexibility as needed.
6. Interact with children, asking open ended questions that foster curiosity and encourage involvement in activities.
7. Adapt activities based on the needs and interests of students’ special talents, ability levels, family backgrounds, and individual learning styles and preferences.
8. Use appropriate and positive reinforcement and discipline as modeled by the Director.
9. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Preschool Director.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalency
· Must be 18 years old or older
· Minimum 2-years’ experience teaching
· Minimum 12-semester units (or equivalent quarter-units) of coursework in Early Childhood Education
· Substitute Teachers may have 6 units if they maintain current enrollment in ECE classes until the 12 units minimum is met.
· ECE classes should include semester units in:
o Child / Human Growth & Development
o Child, Family, & Community or Child & Family Relations
o 2 classes in Programs / Curriculum
Preferred Education and Experience
· Associates Degree or 4-year College degree
· Experience teaching in a play-based program
· Familiarity with church organizations
Knowledge and Skills
· Committed to play-centered philosophy
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated emotional maturity, stability, and judgment
· Good problem-solving skills
· Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
· Strong written and spoken communication skills
· Proficiency with common office applications such Word or Google Docs
· Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
· Walk, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, and reach
· Climb up and down stairs
· Finger and hand dexterity to manipulate small objects and occasionally operate computer
· Eye hand coordination
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
· Occasionally lift and carry up to 40 pounds with or without assistance
· This job regularly operates in a typical classroom setting with low tables, chairs, shelves, rugs, and toys and manipulatives in various storage containers
· This job occasionally operates in a typical office environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, copier, and laminator
· This position regularly works outdoors and will be exposed to a variety of weather conditions, including heat, cold, and rain
· This position regularly works with general cleaning materials and chemicals
· Days and hours of work are generally in the mornings and early afternoons on an on-call basis
· All Menlo Staff are required to abide by the Menlo COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.