About the job
Position Title: Director of Congregational Care
Department: Community Life-General / Menlo Park
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, Menlo Park
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Part-time 25-29 / Non-exempt
Menlo is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Director of Congregational Care provides pastoral care and support to the congregants at our Menlo Park campus. The Director of Congregational Care needs to have a pastoral heart and particular affinity for serving our senior population. You’ll work closely with our Menlo Park Campus Pastor and Director of Care and Recovery, who focuses on numerous recovery and healing ministries. As a cohesive part of our Menlo Park staff, you will collaborate with other staff as they connect you with congregants in need of your support. All our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
Our Menlo Park Director of Congregational Care must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to staff, volunteers, and congregation. In addition to serving our entire congregation, the Director of Congregational Care must specifically have a heart for serving our senior community. Building relationships with and ministering to this group of Menlo congregants will be key to your success as the Director of Congregational Care. The Director of Congregational Care will provide prayer, encouragement, and guidance through times of illness, loss, and life change. You will be the primary staff person for hospital visitations, coordinating with other pastoral staff as needed. In addition, you will direct people as needed to other pastoral resources, such as Stephen Ministers and outside counseling. The Director of Congregational Care will make regular visits to those who are in senior communities or homebound. As the Director of Congregational Care, you will officiate at funerals, memorial services, and weddings. Additionally, there will be opportunities for the Director of Congregational Care to lead Bible studies and other groups, again focusing on our senior community.
Our ideal candidate will be warm, approachable, prayerful, skilled in pastoral care and visitation, effective in group leadership, and a team player. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
1. Work as a cohesive unit with our Menlo Park team.
2. Provide pastoral care and visitations.
3. Build strong relationships with seniors at the Menlo Park campus.
4. Be a regular presence as part of the legacy worship service.
5. Regularly visit those in retirement communities and those who are homebound.
6. Make hospital visits as needed and on short notice.
7. Plan and officiate memorial services and funerals.
8. Be available to officiate weddings as needed
9. In collaboration with the Director of Adult Discipleship, teach Bible studies and classes focused on seniors.
10. Work with the Menlo Park campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (i.e., weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas Eve, and special drive-through events).
11. Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
12. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Campus Pastor, Menlo Park.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
· College degree
· 3+ years’ experience serving in pastoral care and or counseling roles, professionally or as a lay leader
· Experience with hospital visitations
· Experience teaching and leading Bible studies
· Demonstrated ability to create a warm and safe environment
Preferred Education and Experience
· Seminary, theological, or counseling degree or coursework
· Familiarity with Menlo Church
Knowledge and Skills-Which would you like to keep?
· High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
· Strong theological foundation
· Knowledge of and commitment to Menlo’s mission and vision
· Collaborative leader with a focus on the vision of the whole church
· Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
· Professional written and oral communication
· Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools (i.e., Office 365, Zoom, Fellowship One, and Dropbox)
· This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
· Days and hours of work will vary depending on ministry needs
· This position will typically work 25-29 hours per week
· Due to the nature of this position, schedule flexibility will be necessary
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
· Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
· Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
· Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life