Preschool Director at Lake Avenue Church
Pasadena, CA 91101
About the job
Lake Avenue Church is seeking applicants for our Preschool Director position. This document serves as an overview of the Preschool Director position and describes the unique candidate we hope to find. This is not a formal job description.
About Lake Avenue Church:
Lake Avenue Church is a 125 year-old congregational church. We have a strong history of growth, vibrancy, and community engagement. We have a biblically-rooted theology and value a diversity of thought and spiritual expression.
Our value for diversity and integration is much deeper than worship styles and programs. Our neighborhood represents a variety of cultures, ethnicities, socioeconomics, beliefs, and lifestyles, and we are passionate about reflecting this diversity as well as engaging with our diverse neighborhood. We desire to be an expression God’s Kingdom that is strongly connected with our community.
The Mission of Lake Avenue Church:
Following Jesus, we participate in God’s reconciling work
by making disciples of all peoples and generations.
(Matt. 28:18-20; Col. 1:19-20)
Visit our website to see our Mission, Vision, Essentials, Core Values, and Statement of Faith.
About Lake Avenue Church School:
Lake Avenue Church School was originally established in 1971 as a parent-participation nursery school, later becoming a year-round preschool, kindergarten and day care center. Due to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, the school closed in the Spring of 2020.
As we look at opening our preschool we want to continue in the spirit of providing quality Christian care for children in a safe, happy, healthy, and intellectually stimulating environment.
The preschool is a ministry of Lake Avenue Church and is committed to:
- Imago Dei - Believing each child was created in the image of God (Gen 1:27), the preschool will celebrate the unique ways that God has created us in his image. Beyond just welcoming every child regardless of race, color, nationality, religion or ability, the preschool will integrate the concept of the Imago Dei as a foundational teaching at every developmental stage, teaching and celebrating the unique beauty and dignity of every human being.
- Community-based and Mission-Minded - As a ministry of Lake Avenue Church, the preschool will seek to be a light in the community and provide a much needed and valuable service.
- Church Mission and Ministry Integration - Lake Ave Church does not just want to host a school on the Church campus, the Preschool is a ministry of the Church with integrated programs.
Profile of the Preschool Director
The Director of Lake Avenue Church Preschool supports the greater vision of LAC by providing leadership and support to cultivate an environment where each child can develop his or her physical, emotional, mental, and social capabilities to his or her full potential, with an emphasis on cognitive development and communication skills. It is also significant that the preschool provides experiences that stimulate the child’s interest in God’s world. The Director leads the preschool staff in operating the preschool, fosters staff development, and carries out the preschool’s mission and ministry integration.
Our Ideal Candidate:
Lake Avenue Church is looking for a candidate who is spiritually passionate, is experienced with and values diversity, is relational, honest, vulnerable, leads well, deeply knows early childhood development and how to relate to children and their families. We are looking for someone who is excited and passionate about building on the foundation of our 50 year old preschool.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE) or a related education field
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in a licensed child care center and minimum of 1 year administrative experience.
- Maintenance of a State of California Child Development Permit or Teacher Permit.
- Experience in developing innovative classroom curriculum.
- Demonstrated Christian commitment and ethics and the ability to relate well to both children and adults.
- Meet the minimum state standards for child care worker. (Including but not limited to: Criminal background check, free from infectious disease, proper immunizations, First Aid and CPR certification).
- With our diverse community, it is critical that our Director relates well to diverse groups ethnically, socio-economically, and culturally. It is essential that our Director be warm and relationally engaging. Bilingual and biliterate is a plus (i.e. Spanish, Mandarin).
- Our preschool is ready for new energy and vision, and will be served well with a person with initiative and creativity.
Important to this position are the following:
- The Director works collaboratively with the Preschool Board of Directors, Associate Pastor of Family Ministries, Director/Pastor of Early Childhood, preschool parents and other church staff, committees and the congregation. The Director reports to the preschool Board of Directors.
- The Director is responsible to recruit, hire, train, and supervise preschool teachers and staff making sure that they reflect the diversity of our community.
- Ensure that LAC preschool abides by California state licensing.
- Function as the primary contact person for parents/guardians on enrollment, integration, progress, and all other matters pertaining to the preschool and pertinent preschool ministry programs.
- Develop an annual budget for the preschool. This will need to be approved by the Board of Directors.
Lake Avenue Church is in the midst of a Senior Pastor transition. We are currently looking for a new senior leader and are excited about the possibilities of the coming season. These present both opportunities and challenges, however the the larger church has great strength in its paid and volunteer staff.