Pastor / Director of Young Adult Ministry at Lake Avenue Church
Pasadena, CA 91101
About the job
Church and Role Profile | Pastor/Director of Young Adult Ministry
Lake Avenue Church is seeking applicants for our Pastor/Director of Young Adult Ministry position. This document serves as an overview of the Pastor/Director of Young Adult Ministry position and describes the unique candidate we hope to find. This is not a formal job description.
About Lake Avenue Church:
Lake Avenue Church is a 125 year-old congregational church. We have a strong history of growth, vibrancy, and community engagement. We have a biblically-rooted theology and value a diversity of thought and spiritual expression.
Our value for diversity and integration is much deeper than worship styles and programs. Our neighborhood represents a variety of cultures, ethnicities, socioeconomics, beliefs, and lifestyles, and we are passionate about reflecting this diversity as well as engaging with our diverse neighborhood. We desire to be an expression God’s Kingdom that is strongly connected with our community.
The Mission of Lake Avenue Church:
Following Jesus, we participate in God’s reconciling work by making disciples of all peoples and generations. (Matt. 28:18-20; Col. 1:19-20)
Visit our website to see the Mission, Vision, Essentials, and Values of Lake Avenue Church, and review the Statement of Faith of Lake Avenue Church.
Profile of the Pastor-Director of Young Adult Ministry
The Pastor/Director of Young Adult Ministry is responsible for leading ministry both for and with young adults (college age to 30+). They will design, implement and direct programming for the ministry that will encourage personal Christian discipleship, as well as foster a sense of belonging to one another, and the wider church, and encourage leadership and service of young adults throughout the church. They will also be part of the leadership team for our Sunday Night Worship Service seeking to enhance this worship experience for Young Adults. The Pastor/Director of Young Adult Ministry will partner with the rest of the Adult Ministry team in order to provide support and leadership to all areas of Adult Ministries.
Lake Ave Church is looking for a candidate who is spiritually passionate, is experienced with and values diversity, is relational, honest and vulnerable, leads well, deeply knows young adults, builds great volunteer teams, and is fun. We are looking for someone to lead for the long term and our ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years of professional student or young adult ministry experience.
With our diversity of young adults, it is critical that our Pastor/Director relates well to diverse groups ethnically, socio-economically, and culturally. With our small young adult ministry, it will be essential that our Pastor/Director be warm and relationally engaging. Lastly, our young adult ministry is ready for new energy and vision, and will be served well with a person with initiative and creativity.
Important to this position are the following:
- The Pastor/Director is part of a team, reporting to the Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries, and will need to collaborate with several other Adult ministries, including small group ministry, men’s and women’s ministry, prayer ministry, connecting ministry and more.
- The Pastor/Director also will collaborate with individuals from the the worship, family and outreach departments.
- The Pastor/Director supervises one ministry associate, and recruit older adults to invest in the program through mentoring.
- The Pastor/Director functions as part of the pastoral team of the larger church.
- Lake Ave Church is in the midst of a Senior Pastor transition. We are currently looking for a new Senior leader and are excited about the possibilities of the coming season. These present both opportunities and challenges, however the the larger church has great strength in its paid and volunteer staff.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years of professional student or young adult ministry experience.