About the job
Who we are
We are a community of imperfect people, united by God’s Spirit, discovering new life in Christ. Our mission is to love God with all our heart, love our neighbors as we love ourselves, and become better disciples of Jesus who will make new disciples. (Updated Church Vision Statement, 2020)
Who we are looking for
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the spiritual development of young people and who can join our church as we make new disciples of Jesus. Our new Director of Student Ministries will be responsible for our Abide Student Ministries (Jr High & High School) as well as our Young Adult Ministry (college and young professions) which is transitioning from a home-based ministry to a ministry that will be housed within the walls of our church.
The role of the Student Ministries Director shall be as a counselor, teacher, mentor, and friend to the students and families of our church and the surrounding community, challenging and inspiring students to accept and love the Lord, and training them in the way of discipleship. The Director shall also be responsible for actively recruiting, training, and supporting the Student Ministries Assistant Director and a team of lay leaders for all student ministries programs, as needed to accomplish the vision of the program.
- In partnership with the Student Ministries Committee, and Pastor develops/refines the vision for a thriving Student Ministries program that seeks to make disciples of Jr and Sr High students of LCPC and the surrounding community
- Actively recruits, trains, and supports lay leaders and interns, as needed, to accomplish the vision of the program
- Plans and implements the following (specific programs subject to change under the supervision of the Student Ministries Committee):
- Weekly education and fellowship meetings on Sunday mornings, as well as individual Jr. High and High School meetings during the week
- Program of comprehensive confirmation classes at least every two years, in coordination with senior pastoral leadership
- Student small group program; recruiting and supporting other small group leaders to ensure the success of the program
- Summer and winter camp programs for junior and senior high students
- Program for young adults (post-high school through early 20s)
- Jr. High internship program (designed for senior high students)
- Retreats and periodic fellowship events and service projects, including annual week-long mission trips
- Provides an active outreach on local school campuses and in the community
- Encourages student involvement in mission opportunities
- Invests time and energy to develop relationships with the students and their families outside of regularly scheduled events
- Leads or supports volunteer-led fundraiser
- Maintains a program calendar and regular communications through the Student Ministry website and social media accounts to ensure timely and accurate information is made available for all events to students and their families
- With the support of the Student Ministries Committee, develops and manages an annual budget and exercises sound stewardship of financial resources, including setting and receipt of fees related to camps and short-term missions, as well as the use of scholarships and other funds in accordance with established policies
- Attends and participates in regular Staff meetings and Student Ministry Committee meetings
- Plays an active role in Sunday morning worship services and encourages student attendance
Direct supervision provided by the Pastor; works under the guidance of the Student Ministry Committee. Accountable to the LCPC Personnel Committee, under the authority of the Session.
Student Ministries Assistant Director and/or Student Ministries Intern(s)
This position is to be held by a dedicated Christian with strong leadership and organizational skills who loves students and has experience in proactively accomplishing multiple tasks, program planning, soliciting and effectively utilizing volunteer support, working with a team toward common goals, taking initiative, and functioning effectively with minimal oversight. Must be organized, able to articulate a vision, plan day-to-day tasks in coordination with others and maintain progress and follow up to ensure continued improvement and advancement of focus areas. While not required, a bachelor’s degree or higher is desirable, as are some theological training and musicianship.
The Director is required to submit to and pass a fingerprint check in accordance with State of California and Church personnel procedures for employees working with minors.
The Director will comply with all policies and procedures of LCPC.
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time position. It may be exempt or non-exempt, depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Salary will be based on the applicant's qualifications, education, and experience; $48,000 - $60,000. Also includes a competitive benefits package with covered medical and dental insurance, paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave, and other fringe benefits including a budget line for continuing education and educational materials.
The establishment of priorities will be the joint responsibility of the Director, Pastor, and Student Ministries Committee. The Director shall be present to oversee and participate in the major ministry events for students, whether those events are weekly, monthly, or periodic.