Assistant Director, Early Childhood at La Canada Presbyterian Church
La Canada, CA 91011
About the job
Position: Assistant Director, Early Childhood
Employment Status: Part Time; non-exempt
Accountable To: Director, Family Ministry
Compensation Method: Hourly
To provide assistance in the designing, planning, and implementing of programs for children ages nursery through kindergarten at La Cañada Presbyterian Church and their families.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the recruiting, training, support and recognition of volunteers. Arrange for substitute volunteers when necessary.
- Purchase, maintain and distribute curriculum and classroom supplies.
- Handle designated administrative tasks and other details involved in organizing programs (e.g. Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Birthday Party for Jesus).
- Ensure the smooth functioning of Sunday mornings by carrying out duties such as:
- unlocking classrooms
- fulfilling requests for supplies or resources
- checking each class to ensure adequate volunteer coverage
- greeting parents and children
- providing support to volunteers
- overseeing nursery-Kindergarten classes
- Recruit, train and supervise the childcare workers as well as assist in the hiring process as needed.
- Arrange for childcare workers to provide childcare for programs of the church and maintain the childcare room.
- Contribute to children’s ministry emails, bulletin boards, flyers, brochures and other publications as requested.
- Attend children’s & family ministry staff meetings.
- Maintain a neat, pleasant and professional office environment and appearance.
- Maintain an appropriate level of confidentiality when needed.
- Work cooperatively as a member of the children’s ministry team and as a member of the overall staff of the church.
- Abide by the policies and guidelines as set forth in the Employee Manual.
- Fulfill other departmental and church-related duties and responsibilities as requested.
This position is a 20-30 hour per week position. Hours are flexible but include 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Sundays.
- Christian commitment
- Knowledge and experience in working with and teaching preschool children. Early Childhood degree or classes a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Good organizational skills
- Team player
- Good people skills - pleasant, caring, respectful, able to relate to a diverse population
- Computer competency - knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word and Excel, database programs, graphic programs and the internet