About the job
Knox Presbyterian Church in Pasadena, CA (www.knoxpasadena.org) is seeking an individual with strong guitar and vocal skills to lead worship for our 10:00 a.m. Sunday morning service. The worship director would lead the Knox band of volunteer musicians and supervise our paid organist/pianist, sound engineer, and live stream production manager. They would also direct and/or supervise music for four annual special events and three non-Sunday holiday services. The position is part-time, $26,000 - $29,000 depending on experience. Knox is a vibrant intergenerational congregation that values creative worship and attracts many talented parishioners from the local community. Knox worships in a “blended” format, mixing contemporary and traditional musical and liturgical styles.
1) Lead congregational singing with guitar accompaniment, and direct other music and liturgical elements for the Sunday morning service.
2) Coordinate, organize, recruit, rehearse, and direct the Knox band for Sunday services.
3) Select contemporary and traditional music to be used in Sunday worship in collaboration with the senior pastor, and consulting with the pianist/organist and volunteer choir director.
4) Provide spiritual leadership for worship in a way that engages the head and the heart, is relevant to the community, and invites congregants into a deeper relationship with the triune God.
5) Involve youth and children in congregational music leadership as able and appropriate.
6) Provide and lead songs for quarterly special events, which include Advent night in the winter, a spring congregational retreat, a summer arts festival, and a fall Barbecue and Bluegrass event.
7) Lead and/or supervise music at three non-Sunday holiday services which include Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Christmas Eve.
8) Meet quarterly with the senior pastor, organist/pianist, volunteer choir director, and relevant persons for long-range planning.
9) Attend the weekly staff meeting for worship service and special event planning.
10) Attend the monthly worship committee meeting.
11) Supervise the pianist/organist, sound engineer, and live stream production manager, and arrange for a substitute when needed.
12) Arrange for paid guest musicians and substitute worship leaders when and as appropriate.
13) Supervise the volunteer choir director, and assist with choir when and if appropriate in coordination with the volunteer choir director.
14) Supervise the worship slide projection volunteers, and recruit/organize volunteers as needed.
15) Prepare the microphones, music stands, and monitors for the band on the sanctuary chancel prior to Sunday mornings (if the set-up needs to be rearranged).
16) Provide lyrics for administrative staff to put in slide presentations and bulletin.
17) Proof the slide presentations and bulletins to ensure they are accurate, effective, and visually appealing.
18) Other responsibilities as determined by the senior pastor and session.
Resumes and inquiries may be emailed to [email protected] Please include a link to a video demonstrating your worship leading, singing, and/or guitar playing.
Knox Presbyterian Church
225 South Hill Avenue
Pasadena, California 91106